Sodapop Curtis Prompt

-Prepare your heart for this one-

"I will always love you." Sodapop Curtis

'They're sending me home' Those words from Soda's letter kept replaying in my head as I sat at the side of his hospital bed holding his hand. He had been sent home from Vietnam early as he had been injured when a bomb had gone off and badly damaged his leg and had caused some head injuries, which may be serious. He was weakly telling me that Steve was coming home soon too because he had shot himself in the leg in order to return with him and make sure Soda got home. Soda was interrupted by his doctor who came in and asked me if I wouldn't mind talking to him in the corridor. The doctor had informed me that they do not expect Soda to live much longer. I returned to the room where I saw a bunch of flowers, a card and a ring. "Y/N I love you so much, Will you marry me?" He choked out, short of breath. "Yes, Soda. Yes" I whisper-yelled as I carefully kissed him. I sat with my fiance for a few more hours, "I love you y/n" Soda broke the silence that had been present for a few minutes. The silence returned, the seconds counted by the quiet bleep of the heart monitor. After a while there was complete silence, I looked at Soda and his chest had stopped rising. I jumped up and tapped the heart monitor. "Please Soda, C'mon not now." I fell to my knees as I realized that I had not told him I loved him too, I had just let him say it. I sadly rose to my feet as tears cascaded down my cheeks. I held Soda's cooling hand, "I will always love you" I spoke barely above a whisper and left a kiss upon his forehead. He was gone and Steve has shot himself for nothing, I thought remembering the story Soda was telling me.