The One

Author's Note: THAT KEANU GIF I'M DEAD (I make a reference to it later in the chapter just because asdffgfjfjkfldldldj)
80sHoe this was the Keanu gif I was talking about that gives me life omg

I asked him what was so funny.

Apparently I had screamed. And I will never live this down.

I screamed "Neo."

I woke up strapped to the chair as if nothing happened. My heart was pounding, and coming out of it felt like waking up from a nightmare. Coda was at my side, and he had grabbed my hand. I think he was taking my pulse.

"You're back," he breathed, sounding relieved.

Neo was sitting up in his chair chuckling as Bit unplugged him. He walked over to me with a knowing smile.

"Got scared, did you?"

"Shut up," I said, red faced and looking at my feet.

Hand on shoulder. Big surprise.

"Hey, I'm kidding. It was cute," he smirked.

Cute? Cute?? Did Neo call me cute? Okay now you really need to take your hand off me or I'm going to burst into flames.

I gave a shaky laugh, not even daring to look up.

"Hah, y-yeah?" I wheezed out.
Stop blushing you idiot, you don't even know him!

Neo just laughed to himself.

I felt like I was on fire.

Neo walked away and let Bit and Coda download more fighting programs into me. I laid back down, happy to close my eyes and not have to look at anyone else for another hour or so.

I went for another 3 hours, as it turned out, and when I was pulled out of the program, I felt surprisingly rested.

My eyes opened up and I found Neo sitting in my wheelchair, waiting for me. Immediately my eyes snapped shut again. I wanted to stop seeing him. After I sighed, I looked at Neo again.

"Can I help you?" I asked.

Neo's eyebrows furrowed in confusion.
"Did I do something wrong?"

"No. Ugh, sorry, that came off rude... no, I just mean... why do you keep helping me with things? The chair, the programming... I heard the others talking about you, and you're amazing! Why bother with me? Don't you have something else to attend to instead of the newbie?"

Neo smiled a genuine smile.

"Who better to train the newbie than the one who mastered it all?"

I knew he wasn't being cocky about this. Just from overhearing Morpheus and Tank, I knew he was good. The best, even. But why waste the best on the worst?

"Tomorrow, I'd like to fight you. It'll be one-on-one, and the others won't watch," Neo stated.

"The others were watching today?" I asked worriedly.

"They monitor the tests, yes."

I mentally cursed myself.

"I probably looked like a fool," I goraned, head falling back against the chair.

"No one gets it on the first try, don't worry," Neo reassured me. His hand covered my own. "Not even me."

I looked up at him. His eyes were sparkling.