The Fallout

Author's Note: 80sHoe has the best commentary on my story I swear xD
This is a little bit of a filler chapter so sorry if it's a bit slow and boring. It's needed so that other stuff can happen. Better stuff, I promise.

So Neo held my hand. This poses a lot of questions for me now.

Does this mean I'm free to hold his hand whenever I want? Was I wrong, and he actually did like me? Did he intend for me to feel him kiss my head? Will it be seen as rude if I don't hold his hand or kiss him back?

I remember feeling sad when he took his hand away. It had been so warm. But at the same time, my hand never knows what to do when it's being held. I get hand anxiety; am I holding too tight? Is my hand sweaty? What do I do with my fingers?

Neo gave me 10 full minutes of hand anxiety, but I wouldn't trade them for anything.

But he also gave me several days of questions. Should I hold his hand again?

I was thinking about this while watching a young guy called Stats fix up my chair so the wheels ran smoother. I guess having a chair wasn't too incredibly horrible. Except for being used as a coat rack, the others would often come over and put little decorations on the handles or offer to design something on the wheels.

It was cute. Coda put little sticky-notes on it, folded as oragami flowers, and since then, I'd been making those stupid flowers whenever I was bored. I felt like there were hundreds of them.

In exchange for hand holding, maybe I should give one to Neo.

I was folding a flower for Neo when Stats came back over to help me get back in my chair. I'd actually gotten good at the transfer, so all he had to do was hold the wheelchair still.

"Thanks, Stats," I smiled. Stats was a really tall, lanky kind of guy who knew a lot of facts and statistics, which is what got him the nickname. It seemed like everyone had a little nickname--with the exception of Ezekiel, who refused to take one-- except for me.

I was fine being called Kate. Mainly, it sounded so lovely when Neo said it.

I started riding off in search of Neo. I felt like I was five again, sharing my toys with my "crush" because I didn't know how to talk to them.

Then again, I was never good at talking to people.

"H-Hey, Neo," I said to his back as he was hunched over a computer.

He turned around. For once in his life, he seemed upset over something. He tried for a smile, but just seemed... off.

"I, uh, I was making these and... I had a bunch so I was gonna... give you one..."

I held up the little oragami flower and felt really dumb doing it.

"Thanks," he said.

Wow, that's pretty unenthusiastic. I mean, it's just a paper flower, but still...

I decided to finally go for his hand. I reached out for him and grasped his fingers softly. He stood there for a second before he pulled his hand out of my grip.

Oookay, that hurt a little.

I could feel my face on fire. I folded my hands in my lap awkwardly. Stop fidgeting.

"Bad day, Neo?" I asked him.

He shrugged, "Stressed."

He leaned back over the computer, paper flower beside him.
Please stop leaning like that.