Prologue

The snow was melting around the log cabin hiding deep within the gloomy woods. There was a constant dripping from the razor-sharp icicles that clung to the edges of the roof that would drive any normal human being insane. He could tune out all the noise around him and focus on what he knew was coming very soon: her. It was never easy when the time came to find her. His nerves went ballistic, sending shocks through his whole body, and he could feel the familiar pull deep inside his chest that would lead him to her. His whole body could tell that it was time for him to go through the most severe pain he had ever experienced in his life.

The pain was always worth it, just to see her. If he was lucky, he would hold her in his arms at least once and possibly, although extremely unlikely, get to be with her forever. The thought of finally being with her plagued his mind, heart, and soul like a terrible, bittersweet disease. There was no way to tell how things would play out; it was different every time. The Union, for their own sick amusement, liked to keep him guessing as to what they may throw at him.

The pulling sensation was getting more and more severe, and he tried to fight it off. Eventually, he wouldn't be able to resist anymore, and he would be forced to find her. He got up from the old moth-eaten couch and paced the small cabin while running his long skinny fingers through his thick, dark hair, yanking on it now and then to make himself forget the pull for one second. It was a pointless thing to do; he knew that he could never cause himself enough pain to forget about what was coming. He wanted to see her again so bad, his heart was already aching.

His entire body had reacted to her before he even started to feel the pull. His skin, which was usually pale, had started to gain some color, his normally thin hair became thick and shiny, and his already toned body would urge him to push harder during his daily workouts. All of this happened to make himself more desirable to her. He learned long ago that when his cheeks started to flush, and his skin became slightly darker, it meant the time was coming when he would be forced to find her.

The boy turned to face the only mirror in the cabin, stooping slightly to see his reflection properly. There were dark circles around his striking green eyes and his young face was sad. He gripped the sides of the old sink and nearly ripped it from the wall. Seeing himself like this made it all too real and he couldn't bear it anymore. In a split second, he found himself at the door of the cabin, about to plunge deep into the woods and let the pull take over and lead him to her. He dropped to his knees and cried out to the heavens, "Why do you keep doing this to me?" For a second, the pulling subsided, but only long enough for him to hear a familiar voice speak in his mind.

"You're being punished. You know that just as well as the rest of us." A deep rumble of laughter echoed in his head.

Not being able to resist the pull any longer, the boy darted from the cabin, into the darkness of the woods, and allowed the pull to take over, as he had done so many times before.

"Let the games begin," said the same voice,followed by the rumble of laughter.