Chapter Nine

After the incident in the kitchen, Roman tried to contact Ahaz and Astropos to get some answers. They would be able to explain why Cheri and Ellie acted the way they did. Before he had left the night before, Ahaz had said nothing to Demetri or Roman about Alexia's friends also being Immortal. All he had told them was that Alexia was now Immortal and that she would be able to use the defenses.

The house was silent; nobody moved, nobody spoke, and the girls stayed in the bedroom with the door shut. There was a sense of fear in everyone; nobody knew how to handle what just happened. Demetri had cuts and bruises on his arms but other than that was unharmed.

"If Roman hadn't pulled you off me, you would have killed me," he had told them after they had calmed down enough to listen.

"How, you're Immortal?" Ellie had questioned

"Just like anything else, there are loopholes." Nobody had asked for an explanation. At that point, nobody wanted to know anything besides why Ellie and Cheri were showing signs of being Immortal. Roman had promised that once he got a hold of Ahaz he would let them know everything he said. After about an hour, there was a knock on the bedroom door. Ellie opened it to find Roman standing there with a piece of paper in his hand.

"Ahaz just sent this. He still can't come until tomorrow. Until then, we have to keep you girls happy and calm."

"He wants us to wait until tomorrow? We just found out we might all be Immortal, and he can't come until tomorrow?" Ellie didn't want to get angry, so she took a deep breath and sat back down on the bed.

Roman was just about to close the door when Alexia spoke. "I want to go outside." They all looked at her as if she had gone mental.

"It's not safe, you can't." As if to end the conversation, Roman closed the door, but Alexia wasn't giving in. She ran to the door and ripped it open.

"I said I want to go outside." Roman was halfway down the staircase, but he faced her and sighed.

"Alexia, please." He started his way back up the stairs and took her hands in his. She waited for the intense burning sensation to creep across her body, but nothing happened. "Just stay inside. It's not safe for you to be out of this house."

"I'll be fine. I want some air." Cheri and Ellie were standing in the doorway of their room, and Demetri was watching from the bottom of the stairs.

"No, Alexia."

"Yes." She tried to push past him, but he stopped her. "Let me go." She looked into his eyes and hoped that he would see that she was getting mad.

"Calm down and try not to get angry, okay?"

"If you don't want me to get upset, then step out of my way and let me go outside." She didn't like acting so bratty, but she knew when Ahaz arrived there would be no swaying him. This would be her chance, and she knew that Roman would let her if she threatened to get mad. His eyes were getting slightly dark, but Alexia's were getting darker faster.

"Let her go, Roman," Demetri advised, "she could kick your ass in a second." Alexia smiled and motioned for her friends to follow her downstairs. Demetri held out her jacket but pulled it away when she reached for it. "Ten minutes." She felt like she was being treated like a child, but she was apparently in danger, so she nodded and took her coat. "Come on, Roman," Demetri said, "we have to watch them."

"I feel like a little kid," Ellie said as she pulled on her coat. "We don't need to be watched."

"Yes you do." Demetri had his leather jacket on and Roman was pulling a thick sweater over his head. "Seriously ten minutes and then you come back inside, and no fighting or threatening to get mad." He was directing this to Alexia, but she wasn't listening, as she was already bounding out the front door.