Chapter Four

Roman had been waiting for almost an hour at the school field for Demetri. When he walked him out of the party he refused to explain anything at that moment, and requested they meet here if Demetri wanted any answers. It killed Roman to know Demetri was with Alexia doing who knows what. He was taking long enough; who knew if he would even show. Roman was panicking; it had only been a week and he already felt like he had lost.

"You know you really shouldn't drink; haven't you learned that by now?" Demetri had finally shown up. "The same thing happens every time, yet you're still stupid enough to try it."

"I've learned a long time ago that nothing ever stays the same. You know I will always try whatever I can."

"Well, that didn't get you very far this time, did it? Sure helped me out a lot, though. You know what never changes?" Demetri smiled a cruel smile; even though it was dark outside, Roman could see it perfectly. "The way she kisses is always the same. After all these years, that's the one thing they have never changed about her..." Roman wanted to dive at him and strangle him. He hated being taunted, especially by Demetri. That's what got them into this mess so long ago.

"Are you going to tell me what happened back there or not?"

"If you really want to know, I can tell you." He smiled again and Roman had to fight back the urge to punch him. "Well, after you left, her and her friends danced a little bit for me. You know, that's another thing that never changes. She can always shake her..." Roman lunged at him but Demetri darted out of the way just before he caught him.

"You know what I meant. Tell me why I had to do that favor for you."

"Come on, don't be stupid. I know they told you."

"The Union never told me anything."

"Oh yeah, and they never told you this was the last game either. Like I believe that..."

"This is the last game?" Roman was frozen, unable to move, unable to think. How? How could they not say anything to him? Demetri had to be lying. Roman could feel his eyes going dark with anger. Soon he wouldn't be able to control himself and he would be taken over by rage, unable to stop it.

"Okay, now you are messing with me. There is no way they told me and didn't tell you. That's just sick, even for them."

"I'm not messing with you, Demetri. Tell me the truth, is this our last chance?" There was sadness in his eyes that told Demetri he really had no idea that this was it, their final round, their last chance.

"They really didn't tell you?" He paced around Roman. "This is it. It's going to be me or you. The game is almost over... and clearly they don't want you to win."

In a split second, Roman was at his throat, squeezing as hard as he could. His eyes went black as the night sky. "This was never a game to me. She has never been a game to me!" He released Demetri and started pacing to control his anger. "What other rules did they tell you?"

"Tell me what they told you and I'll tell you what they told me," Demetri responded after recovering from the choke.

"Nothing, they told me nothing at all; they sent me into this last round with no rules, no warnings nothing."

Demetri wolf whistled and laughed. "This is just mind-blowing right now. I have half the mind to not tell you a single thing." In a split second, he was nose to nose with Roman again. "But I want to do this right, with both of us knowing the same thing, the same rules, so I can win her fair and square"

"Then spit it out already. I can't stand to be around you much longer."

"Well, that's too bad for you, because there is a lot I have to tell you, Brother."