| C-h-a-p-t-e-r-T-e-n |

Chapter 10: I think I'm falling for you, Mckanzie.

I hate my life.

"Wake up!" I didn't know who it was, but I wanted it away. I wanted to sleep. "McKanzie!" the voice called again. I growled and turned on the other side. I was comfortable in there.

"Go away!" I muttered.

"Wake up." I jumped from the loud voice. I looked around me and realized that I wasn't in my room. Then it all hit me. Connor was on his feet, arms crossed on his chest and looking at me. I gave him a small smile and got up from the bed, a little lightheaded due to the sleep. "He wants to say something to you before we leave." he said and I shook my head. I didn't want to hear him. "McKanzie, it's his last wish." he added as I stared at him like he had grown a second head. His last wish? I knew the man was in the verge of death, but his last wish?

"I-..." I started, but didn't finish. I was frozen. Connor grabbed my hand and pulled me out of my mother's room. He led me to the other side of the hallway and straight to the room where I didn't want to be. Aunt Elena was at the side of my grandfather while, Clara, who apparently had come too, was on the other side. They looked at me with pained eyes, especially aunt Elena. She stood up and walked towards me. "We'll leave you alone." she whispered. I nodded, not knowing what to say. It must have been hard for her. I mean, her father was dying. In a matter of seconds, I was left alone with him. What do I do now?

Hesitating, I walked towards his bed and sat on the chair aunt Elena was sitting before. His breathing was slow and so were his heartbeats. I didn't dare look him in the eyes. "Umm...hi.." I said awkwardly. I didn't know what else to say.

"I'm sorry." he said, surprising me. His voice was low and cracked, but it was sincere. "I-"

"Sorry doesn't bring my mom back." I snapped before I could stop myself. What was I doing? The man was dying and here I was snapping at him. What was wrong with me?

"I know. And I know I'm too late to ask you to forgive me..." he paused, breathing deeply. "I've been a terrible person all my life. I had a perfect family and I destroyed it. I-I just..." he suddenly stopped and the beeping machine started beeping faster. What was happening?

"Please, don't tire yourself." I pleaded.

"I'm going to die sooner or later, but I have to tell you the truth. Your parents are..." he stopped. He just stopped. The beeping machine went off in a straight line and I froze. Did he die? From that moment I went numb. People entered in the room but I ignored them. My gaze was on the lifeless body in front of me. I heard voices calling me but I just stood there, numbly staring. What was he going to say? My parents were what?

"Time of death 20:39." the nurse said. My grandfather died, in front of me, not telling me what he wanted to tell. Suddenly, I felt guilty. If I had talked with him before, maybe he would've told me the truth. If I would have given him a chance to explain, maybe I would have understood him. Maybe if-

"McKanzie!" Clara was the one talking to me this time. I hadnt realized that I was crying until I felt my watering cheeks. The tears were rolling freely from my eyes and I couldn't stop them. I was only able to stare into nothing.

"He...I..." I whispered.

"Come on, we have to get out of here." she hugged me and then pulled me out of the room, where Connor was standing. Clara said something to him, which I didn't pay attention to. I just wanted to go home and forget that all of this happened.

When we arrived home, I was exhausted. All of my energy was drained off of my body and I had to hold onto Connor to steady myself or else I would be faceplanted on the ground. "McKanzie are you okay?" he asked worried as he held me.