Chapter 4: Memories

It's been a little, I know, but I'm keeping quite a nice system of writing one chapter ahead and posting the one behind it. That way, I'll always be ahead of the game :) I hope you guys like this chapter. It was fun to write!

The picture attached is Charlotte, btw
:3

<><><><><><><><>

"Christine! Christine! I have wonderful news!"

My shouts echoed down the hall as I ran easily. No pain. No restriction from a broken bone. Nothing. Only strong, heathy movement.

Christine's big brown eyes met mine as she turned around from where she sat in her room. Her eyes got even wider as she saw me running. Shock creased her features. "Charlotte! You shouldn't be running with a broken ankle!" She exclaimed, holding her hands out.

I stopped short of her, letting the bundle of skirts down again, and caught my breath. I sure would never be an expert runner for the life of me! Smiling widely, I grasped her lowering hands in mine.

"That's just the point, Chris, it is not broken anymore!" I nearly squealed. This has been the first time I've seen Christine since last week. I've visited the Phantom all this week for lessons, and I've improved so much! We've gotten more comfortable around each other, which was good. Auditions for Il Muto were closing in just next week. Alexandre has met up with me a few times for lunch and a walk, which I agreed to. Christine has been out with Raoul lately, and I've been excited to tell of the news. Meg knew already, and now Christine did.

"What?"

"It's not broken!" I laughed. "It was during my lesson, and I was singing. And suddenly, it was healed! It was like my voice was magic, Chris!" I nearly jumped out of my constricting corset from bouncing so much.

My brunette friend smiled brightly now. "That's fantastic, Char! You'll be able to dance again." I was excited to dance again, but also not. Would I get to have lessons still with the Phantom if dance rehearsals took up all my time? Probably not, and I quite liked his company. He may be strict and hard to crack sometimes, but I always could make him smile. He needed a little fun in his life.

"Yeah," I breathed, "fantastic." My smile faded to a dull, minor one, trying not to concern Christine. But when is she never concerned for me?

"Is something wrong, Charlotte?" She asked, taking my hand and looking at me. "Was it something I said? Oh, I'm sorry if I said anything--"

"No, it wasn't anything you said," I reassured her. "No, no, nothing would offend me. Only..." I trailed off, Not exactly sure I wanted to confess to her. "I met a man, Chris. After the fall."

Her eyes went wide. "Who? Who is he, Char?" She questioned excitedly, smiling. Of course, she'd be excited. I've never had a lover besides Nikolai, and she'd rather see me with a peasant than that abusive mongrel. But the Phantom's name...I did not know. But I couldn't say that it was him. She'd murder me!

"I didn't catch his name," I said timidly. "But he's wonderful. Strict, but wonderful." A smile appeared at my lips. "And he has the most beautiful voice I've ever heard!" Oh, how captivating his vocal chords can be! "I just fear that returning to the ballet lessons, it would hinder my meetings with him."

Christine's eyes sparkled with a lost light. She sighed as if remembering something. "Oh, Charlotte, you're an awful lot like me. This situation was like when I'd get vocal lessons from my Angel of Music." Her voice floated softly as she recollected memories. Her Angel of Music always seemed like a farce to the human eye; a celestial soul teaching a living being the arts of music. But I've always believed in superstition and other worldly encounters. Of course, that was why my friends called me a medium of sorts.