Chapter 7: Making Amends and A Past Revealed

Disclaimer: I use quotes from anonymous and unknown people in my chapters! I forgot to say that before, but just a heads up!

And before you go on, please read:
This is my first big book that I'm writing. My other book won't be half as long as this, and sorry if there's too many pages! But again, I have never written anything like this, since I'm a new, young writer. And I hope it fits your standards.

<><><><><><><><><>

(Erik)

I shut the door to the bathroom behind me and stood still, my cheeks burning with a fiery heat. Just seconds ago, Charlotte was fully vulnerable in front of me with merely a towel covering her body. She trusted me enough to not advance on her. I mean, I would never try to take advantage of her! But she was so irresistible, so tempting...

Be quiet, you perverted fool! My mind spat at me. She is your friend, and such thoughts, if she found out, would make her run in disgust!

The voice was one-hundred percent correct.

But... It continued. She is much more than a friend, isn't she? Don't try and deny the inevitable and obvious, Erik. You're in love with her.

No, I cannot be! I am a monster! Such a disgraceful being could not love an angel! Angel... Christine...

Christine hasn't been on my mind at all these past months. The only person I could even remotely think about was Charlotte. Both of them were the most beautiful, heavenly angels that ever appeared in my life. Well, I appeared in theirs, to be completely honest and correct. It was I who found Christine's young, weeping form in the opera house that night. It was I who appeared to her in the mirror. It was also I who appeared from the darkness to save Charlotte's life.

But I am no savior, unlike how they visualize me. My world brings the darkest of the dark and the tortures of Hell. I could not keep a beautiful angel captive down in the depths of the flames while she is burning and struggling to get free.

A sigh passed through my lips. I know what must come eventually; I must let Charlotte go, let her up to the surface. It will be better if I leave her unrestrained than captive down in this damp prison.

She could not remain as a beautiful dove caged within the damp cavern. Her beauty needed to have freedom as she was allowed before I met her. She needed to be let out of the barred cage.

Oh, what a beautiful little songbird she was...

Her image popped into mind. No, not an image of her face... Mad blush stained my cheeks as I shook the wandering imaginary figure from my mind. She was so beautiful. If only I could see all of her beauty...

Dear God, what was I thinking?! I needed to get my mind off of her...and her irresistible body before I did something I'd regret!

Keeping my head tilted low, I strode quickly over to my drawing table near my model of the stage and picked up my utensil. Maybe a little work will take my mind off of this. Music was my only other option, but if I played, it would reveal my tempt. And I couldn't reveal that to Charlotte. She would be disgusted.

Exhaling the stress that built up within me, I ran a hand over my dark wig and straightened my mask. Then, I hunched over and spilled everything my mind thought of onto the paper. It was better to get it out than have it pile up in my already cluttered mind.