Chapter 11: Move On Already

(Charlotte)

"Erik?"

At the sound of my voice, his head slowly raised along with his eyes. The sight before me made my breath hitch in my throat; he was utterly broken. He still had his Red Death mask on, but even I could see through the darkness of the eyeholes to his eyes. They were bloodshot and glossy from the plethora of tears spilling from them. I caught the tremble of his bottom lip as his breathing shook.

"Y-You shouldn't stay," he mumbled hoarsely while tilting his head low again, gazing at the necklace in his hands. The one he gave me for Christmas burned around my neck now as well as the ring on my finger. Glancing down, I noticed the slight glow of each blue gem. "It's not appropriate for a woman to see a...a man cry..." He whispered lowly, restraining another sob.

My heart snapped into pieces. "What's appropriate doesn't matter in times like this, Erik," I said gently, inching closer to his huddled form. "You're hurt, and I can't stand to see you like this. Your pain hurts me." By then, my voice was just a hushed whisper. Then, I caught the sight of his shattered blue eyes again.

"Christine betrayed me..." He whispered dully, rising slowly from the damp floor. His body was stiff and shaken, but he stood straighter like nothing was wrong. Though, his eyes held all the sadness in the world. "She...she..." His expression suddenly contorted to anger, and in one swift motion, he swung his fist at the wall.

A gasp escaped my lips at the loud crack that sounded over his furious growl. "Erik!" I sprang forward and grabbed ahold of his trembling hand. It must have broken something in there because it was oddly warm and tense. God, why would he wish to inflict harm upon himself?! Christine is gone now. She chose who she wanted, and she needed to leave. Not trying to put anything negative on her.

"Erik, please," I pleaded while holding his hand close to my chest. "Stop hurting yourself like this. It won't fix anything, and it especially won't heal your pain." My chin rested lightly upon my hands as I caressed his injured one gently. I could feel the pulsing of his veins under my touch.

He stayed silent for a moment, but he then pulled out of my grasp with a long, low sigh. "Yes, it will," he muttered, rubbing his injury. "Pain is always the answer. For me, anyways. I deserve the pain, the hurt. My whole life is a mishap, an encumbrance. Bearing pain, I will get what I deserve."

"No," I sharply remarked. "No, you do not deserve pain. You are a man, like any other, that feels and has a heart. You have a soul, Erik. And souls do not deserve pain and suffering."

"You are wrong, woman," he muttered unevenly, turning away from me. "I am a demon. And demons need to be whipped and lashed with cruelty. I am a burden on the living."

That killed me on the inside. No, he was the wrong one. He never saw himself as what he truly was; a beautiful man with the most angelic and pure heart. I stepped closer to him and kept my eyes on his hunched figure facing away from me. "You're not a burden," I stated firmly. "If anyone is to be branded with that name...it is me." This caused him to lift his head slightly. But he didn't turn around yet.

"I feel like I'm intruding and pressuring your life ever since that night," I continued quietly. "I do not want to cast any more stress upon you after this difficult event in your life," with a wavering whisper, a flood of shame infiltrated my soul. He has put up with me from the very beginning. How? After all Christine has been putting him through, how could he want another woman around, even just as a friend?

He is much more than a friend, my mind hummed.

Yes, but he doesn't need me around to add more hassle. I am a nuisance, just as...as Nikolai had said. "Charlotte," Erik's voice sounded closely, drawing me from my depressing thoughts. He was facing me now, an undetectable emotion lingering in his eyes. "You are nothing close to a burden; instead, an angel, a goddess. Your bright and caring presence, in fact, relieves me of my stress. Please," he then took hold of my trembling hands," do not sell yourself short of what you really are. You are the blessing in my life. Without you..." his voice trailed slightly, "...I would be dead because of the haunting and controlling voices in my mind. Christine's choice has driven me into a dark place inside of me, the corrupt void of my heart and head. But you have kept me from fulfilling my mind's desires. You are what keeps me sane; you make me feel...normal."