Chapter 10: A Long Awaited Masquerade

(Erik)

Christmas had passed, and after stalking the halls of the Opera House once again, I overheard that there was a Bal Masque being held on New Year's Eve into the new year. Ah, and I didn't forget the part when they cheered because I haven't been haunting them lately. Firmin quoted, 'Months without that ghost! It truly has been a Christmas miracle!'

Indeed, a Christmas miracle. Well, until New Year's, that is. I have been finishing my opera for the next performance. Don Juan Triumphant. Though, there was still the last song that I needed completed. Point of No Return. Charlotte had helped me with making previous songs, but I have tried to hide this one from her. It would reveal too much to her...

But... My original plan was to have Christine star in it...

Growling to myself, I ran a hand over my face while I sat at the organ. Tearing off my mask and wig, I perched them on the wood above the keys. My fingers splayed the various pages of the piece on the stand, and I locked on the female part for this song. Aminta's vocal section. The description of her fit both Christine and Charlotte so well. Pure, flawless, vulnerable to seduction... But there was one that didn't quite fit my betraying lover; strong and independent. Not putting any offense to my Christine, but she was a bit dependent on love and needed protection constantly. She was completely innocent. And it warmed my heart at her chaste soul.

Charlotte, on the other hand, was a very...intimate woman...

Christine didn't spark that flame within me like Charlotte did. Charlotte's induced flames in me were bold, amatory, erotic. It was what I craved, desired with a passion, but it also frightened me at how powerful those feelings were becoming. It was consuming and caused unwanted effects sometimes...

Shaking my head, my fingers touched the pendant hanging from my neck, and a spark shot up my finger.

What the hell? I thought, pulling my hand away. Glancing down at my ring, I noticed that the garnet gem was glowing. Yes, it was glowing with a bright red light. My eyes widened as I stared at my hand. Good God, was it supposed to do that?

I picked up the pendant around my neck and examined that jewel. "Ce que la merde!" I shouted, flabbergasted at the blinding garnet stone. My fingers dropped the pendant, and I swiftly stood from the bench while swearing profusely. {what the shit}

Then, a sweet voice sounded from the lake. "Erik? What's wrong?" I froze and heard her reaching the land. She came closer once on the ground, leaving me wonder when the gondola had been taken to the other side of the lake. I didn't dare turn around. My wig and mask were gone, and no doubt she would see my scarcely covered face from there.

Biting my cheeks hard, I darted towards the organ, my hands splaying over my face. I kept my head low whilst Charlotte still stood away from me. "Erik?" She called, and I felt her eyes burn into my back. But I didn't stop one moment. I fumbled with my hair piece and mask before I had them on correctly and safely. A relieved sigh passed through my lips. Pushing down my thrashing heart, I slowly turned towards her and felt my eyes widen.

Mon Dieu, she was beautiful. {My God}

She was wearing such a flattering dress whose color really livened her up; the color of desire. Red. A shimmering, silky blood red dress. The bodice was cut down like a V, sporting ruffles, and the little sleeves made her arms shine. Oh, she looked like an angel within a naughty woman's dress. It, dare I even think, had even slightly aroused me.

Advancing toward me, Charlotte gazed at me with thoughtful, sad eyes. "I only wish that you would trust me soon," she spoke softly, hardly above a whisper. My chest tightened with emotion. But I couldn't show her. She would fear me like Christine...