2

They were awoken by the smell of burning. Smoke filled the air, making it hard to breathe or see. It was the forest, alight with flame. It sickened them to think of the creatures of the forest, dying because of bill. They didn't deserve it. None of them did.

Pacifica was still sleeping, somewhat unfazed by the smoke. Dipper covered her mouth with a sweater, making sure she didn't choke. Stan was yelling for them downstairs. He considered waking Pacifica, but decided to let her sleep. She looked so peaceful, it was refreshing.

As Dipper and Mabel arrived in the living room, they were greeted with plots, maps and graphs. They were looking for a way to defeat bill. They poured over the information for hours, until there was nothing left to read. It felt hopeless without Ford, and the journals.

Dinner was a party. They danced and laughed away the evening, although it made nobody feel better. They still missed their friends and family that couldn't make it, and no party could change that. Pacifica sat across the room, gently braiding Celestabelle Abethabelle's hair. Mabel, Candy and Grenda danced in middle of the room, making everyone smile, but you couldn't deny the tears in their eyes. Soos hung lights across the wall, making the room shine pink and gold. Stan told his cheesy puns to whoever would listen, and still nobody would laugh.

Dipper sat alone in the corner, fiddling with the pit from his can of Pitt cola. It was cold, like stone, yet still felt comforting in his palm. He looked around at the grinning faces, hopeful now that they had arrived. They think he has answers, maybe he does, but he can't help without the journals. Bill was right, he's not a threat without them.

"Hey, buddy," Wendy sat by his side, coated in war paint. "How're you doing?"
"I don't know... everyone's relying on me, but... I don't know how to fix this..."
"Please, you always find a way," Wendy replied. "We'll do it, you'll see..."
"Thanks, Wendy," Dipper gave her a small smile.

Dipper got up to go to his room, yawning. He didn't sleep well last night. As he reached the door, he felt a hand touch his shoulder. He turned around to see Wendy, who ushered him into Fords room. They sat on the couch, Dipper wondering what Wendy wanted to say.

"Dipper..." Wendy began, obviously nervous. "I know you still like me. Um... Mabel told me what happened in her bubble. Look, I know it's hard, trust me, but you've got to find a way to move on."
"I... I can't," Dipper responded. "I've tried, but it just doesn't work..."
"Hey, you can do it," Wendy held his arm comfortingly. "Try and find a new girl, there are plenty here."
"I don't think I know how..." Dipper was on the verge of tears. "I've never felt like this about someone before, so I don't know how to change it."
"Try," Wendy said as she stood up. "Please, for me."

He could only nod. From his experience, words were his weakness. He still meant it, though. Loving Wendy was painful, and moving on was a nice idea, but it felt impossible. Just like the war raging outside and in his soul.