4

The morning came like too quickly. Then again, all the time in the world couldn't let him fully appreciate her. She was just too good. She woke up just after eight. He pretended to sleep next to her as she clambered over him and wandered to the bathroom. He willed her to stay longer.

"So, what was that all about?" Mabel loomed over him, a goofy smile on her face. He screamed when he saw her, and scrambled to the corner of the bed like an afraid kitten.

"What do you mean?" Dipper got up, avoiding eye contact, as he knew exactly what she was talking about.

"Oh, nothing, just YOU AND PACIFICA SNUGGLED UP ALL COSY AND ROMANTICKY LAST NIGHT! WHAT THE HECK BROBRO?"

Mabel was yelling at the top of her lungs now. Dipper ran to her and covered her mouth to muffle the sound. He didn't want Pacifica to hear.

"Shush, Mabel, geez," he cried, fetching the cleanest shirt left in his wardrobe. "I was only with Pacifica because I was cold, and she offered to scoot, and I let her. Seriously, no big deal."

She narrowed her eyes, still smiling. You can't hide anything from Mabel, and he knows it. Mabel sees the truth, but hopefully she doesn't scream again...

"Fine," Dipper sighed, looking at the ground like a toddler doing something naughty, waiting to hear his punishment. "I like her, Mabel. A lot, actually. I can't believe I spent this summer without her. I know I don't have a chance, but, she's so great and kind and fun... ugh why can't do this?"

"Do what, Dip?"

"Love, Mabel. Why can't i be more like you? You date tons of guys and you're fine. Would be easier than this..."

Dipper sat forlornly on the edge of his bed, chewing the end of a black Biro, like he does when he's deep in thought.

"You wanna be like me?" Mabel's voice was now soft and comforting. "I wanna be like you, bro. I just crush on dumb guys, you actually love someone, and that's beautiful. I wish I could feel the way you do about her, instead of a boyfriend that lasts, like, a week? You can't want that Dip."

"Thanks, Mabel," Dipper smiled, a wave of confidence rushing through him. "I'll... I'll go talk to Pacifica."

"Cool," Mabel desperately held in her excitement. She knew how it sometimes pressured him. "Hey, bring her this. She's probably cold. Besides, it's cute."

As he walked out of the attic, she handed him her llama sweater. He smiled gratefully before rushing down the stairs to find Pacifica. Mabel watched on like a proud parent as he saw her at the end of the corridor.

"Good luck, Dip," Mabel whispered.