Part 7....Unexpected occurences

I stared at the phone for the umpteenth time. I was puzzled at the message I had received a few minutes ago. I had been receiving strange texts over the last few weeks. Just random statements. At first I thought it was Dominic playing his crazy jokes but when he denied sending them I was baffled. In fact a message came while I was with him so I had to rule him out then. I was not taking them seriously but the one which came today really was one to look into.

I decided to take action.

I walked into the door of the local phone company and approached a man at the counter.

"Morning, I would like some help with my phone?" I asked nicely.

"Sure, what can I do to help?" the teenager looked eager to solve my problem.

"I have been receiving some random texts from an unknown number and I was wondering if you can trace where the texts are coming from?" I asked anxiously.

The guy looked at me for a second then smiled. "I am sorry Miss but we cannot do that."

"Why? You are my provider, can't you do something?" I asked desperately.

"Well Miss, you can install software on your phone that blocks certain texts messages but we can't trace anything without a warrant." The guy said trying to be helpful. I shrugged.

"Can you help me get the software?" I was not leaving until I stopped these messages.

"It is an app that helps filter your messages from anyone." He continued. "Could you give me your phone please?" I handed him my phone and waited until he did his techie thing.

I walked out of the store a bit relieved but still feeling unsettled. Was someone stalking me? I looked around the street cautiously; persons were busy moving along their own journey oblivious to me looking at them. I walked down the street uncomfortable as I headed back to my office.

"Hi Vera, can I come in for a minute?" Dominic poked his head through my door.

"Sure." I gestured to him.

He stood awkwardly in front of my desk shifting from one foot to another.

"Out with it!" I said going back to my typing on the computer.

"I'm waiting, I don't have all day as you can see I have to complete this report and send it to Mr Rathers by 4pm"

"I will just say it, could you go out with me Saturday?" he asked nervously.

I did not bother looking up at him, "I have told you a million times Dominic, No! I don't want that kind of relationship with you."

"I get it but I need a date for a family gathering and you're the only one who can do it?" I looked up at him. He actually looked nervous and desperate. I stopped typing and leaned back in my chair.

"Details." I said and gestured for him to sit which he did.

"My parents want me to marry this girl from our old neighbourhood and you see I don't really like her. In fact they want me to marry since I'm 27 and feel it is the right time to settle down... I need you to act like we are in love so my parents will stop forcing her onto me." Dominic confessed.

I leaned forward and placed my elbows on my desk and looked him straight in the eyes, "No, if I turn up with you and 'pretend' we are in love they will then be forcing 'us' down the aisle. So no deal!" I returned to my computer to finish my report.

"Please Vera, you're the only girl who can make them forget Samantha as my ideal wife."

"Exactly!" I uttered.