Chapter 3

Hello people, i hope you enjoy this chapter. it's a little shorter then the last two but it's longer then my normal chapters. Happy reading ;)

~@~

Chapter 3-

School finally ends, luckily without seeing Luke. After I kissed Olivier he must have gone home, which was a good thing for both of us. Ben and I collected our things and hopped in the car without a single word.

Even the drive to pick up Sebastian was quiet but not awkward, instead it was peaceful. After we picked up Sebastian it was a different story. He told us, making sure to include every small detail, about his day. Turns out he met a new friend that lives on the other side of the road to us.

We finally reached home and Seb practically ran from the car and inside.

"Make sure to do your homework." I tell Ben. He nods without a word and makes his way inside.

I flop down onto the couch and channel surf but nothing good is on so I decide against TV. Maybe I should get us some food. We're running low and Seb's always hungry.

 "I'm going to the supermarket. Anyone want to come?" I yell out and there's a chorus of 'yes' through the house.

Ben and Seb come down and straight through the house to the car. I grab the keys and my wallet, shoving it into my back pocket. I lock the house and get in the car.

Not long after we arrive at the shop and walk in. I grab a trolley and Seb insists on hopping in so I lift him up and let him stand in it while I push it around and Ben drops the food that we need in. Half an hour later we go to the checkout, pay and pile it into the car.

As we're driving home Seb catches sight of his new friend in the ice-cream shop. "Stop here, stop here!" He screams and I park in an empty parking lot.

We all get out and instantly Seb's talking to his friend. I walk up to the table and stand by the woman sitting opposite who I'm assuming the boy's mother.

"Hi, I'm Sam. Sebastian's brother." I hold my hand out to her.

She takes my hand with a big smile and shakes it. "I'm Alyssa, Jackson's mother."

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Alyssa." I motion to the seat free beside her in the booth. "May I?" She nods and I sit down. I watch out of the corner of my eye as Ben rolls his eyes and smirks at me while squeezing in next to the two boys.

"So, tell me a little bit about yourself Sam," Alyssa says and hesitantly I reply.

"Well I was born here, stayed for a little while then had to move away. Then our parents died and we moved back here and into the house we now live in."

"Oh I'm sorry to hear that," she says truthfully. "You live across the street from us, yes?" I nod and she smiles happily. "Well you should get along fine with my other son. He needs someone like you in his life."

I force a smile. No one needs anyone like me in their life. "Well why don't you and the family come over to ours for tea?" I suggest and if possible her smile gets bigger.

I look over to Seb who smiles just as brightly, Jackson nods his head to his mother and Ben looks dumbfounded. "You've got to be kidding," he mouths to me. In reply I raise an eyebrow and shrug a shoulder.

"That would be wonderful. I'll be sure to bring some dessert." I smile and nod politely. "Well we better be off, big meeting to attend in half an hour," she says sadly and I stand up so she can get out. "Thank-you and I look forwards to seeing you all tonight."

Seb waves as they go out the door then he turns to me with a big smile. I point an accusing finger at him. "Don't you dare get him into any kind of trouble tonight," I warn and he draws a cross over his heart. "Good." I sigh and lean back in the chair.  "So? Who's up for some ice-cream?"

~@~

I look myself over in the mirror. Not trying to boost my ego or anything but I look hot and when I mean hot I don't mean like oven hot, I mean sun hot. I run my fingers over the scar on my neck. It's starting to show again, I should cover it up before Alyssa and her sons get here.

So, pulling out the make-up, I quickly cover it up so you can't tell that anything's there. By the time I finish the doorbell rings. I hear Ben open the door and then distant talking in the background. One time, that's all. I'm only doing this to be nice and that's all. One time.

I keep reminding myself. I don't want to get too attached to anyone here in case we have to just up and leave one day. The only thing bad is that Seb seems to like this family a little too much to move on quickly. I suck in a deep breath and slowly let it out to calm my nerves.

"Come on Sam they're here!" Seb runs into the bathroom and yells. I laugh as he pulls me down the stairs and into the lounge room. I stop mid stride as soon as we're there. This cannot be happening to me. Of course it has to be Luke.

Luke's mouth opens to an O. "Sam?" he asks, confused.

I scratch the back of my neck, a nervous habit I've taken up. How hard can it possibly be to dodge one person? You wouldn't think it would be that hard in a town like this but obviously God has to prove me wrong. "Hi, Luke."

Alyssa smiles, "You two know each-other, that's wonderful!" she says excitedly.

I wince when Luke shoots me a glare. "Um... yeah we know each other," I say.

"Oh darling I bought an apple pie, it's in the kitchen," Alyssa says.

"You didn't have to do that Alyssa; I could have made something instead."

"It's no trouble at all." She waves it off.

Everyone makes small talk and after a while we decide to eat tea. Everyone sits down at the table and dishes out their own food. I'm opposite Luke so I can watch him glare at me the whole night. At one point he drops something on the floor and panics, I laugh at his facial expression and that earns me a kick in the shins from him.

"Oh I was meaning to ask you Sam, Jackson was begging me to take him to a theme park a few towns over and wants to know if Sebastian could come?" Alyssa asks me after tea (I've had lots of mocking comments about how someone eats tea. 'Tea' is another word for dinner in Australia, or you know, the meal at the end of the day!... thank you) while everyone else is talking.

I nod, "That's fine, he can go." So much for not getting attached.

"That's great, also I hope it's not too much but Luke has a big test coming up and well, I don't like Luke staying home alone so I was hoping he could stay here with you and Ben."

"Yeah that's fine," I lie. This night is not going as planned. Not only am I putting Luke in danger, now I'm putting him whole family in danger.

I look over at Ben who shakes his head slowly back at me, almost as if saying 'What have you got them into?'

~@~

Please tell me what you think about it and also, who do you like best? Samuel or Luke?