fourteen » mango cake and jealousy

a/n - happy 2016! it's been such a great year for this book and i and i'm super glad to have you guys. wishing everybody a hella great new year filled with hella positivity and peaceful vibes!!

so does anyone have any theories of what might have happened to elena yet? how do you guys feel about cal and cara? a while ago i said i would start these chapters off by asking you guys questions but i never ended up carrying that little trend on so lets see if i can get it going again-

aaalso, what if i did a character ask? would anybody actually participate in that? i mean it seems fun omf.

stay happy,

x bri.

-

[ cara ]

"So this is..?"

"Mango cake."

I rose my eyebrow at Heather, gaze shifting between the yellow sponge cake on a small white plate in front of me, back up to her tired looking face. "Isn't that a little too... tropical, for a wedding cake?"

Heather rose her eyebrow in return, challengingly. "Are you the bride?"

"Guess not." I shrugged as Emma cackled at Heather's remark beside me, poking her fork into another brown slice of cake. I quickly swatted her hand away, knowing that if nobody were to do anything to stop her, she'd for sure dig in to the wedding cake sample. Emma whined and stared at me dirtily. I wasn't gonna let the bridesmaid try the cake before the actual bride.

"Speaking of the damn bride," Emma rolled her eyes as she reached into the pocket on the back of her jeans to pull her phone out. "where is she? And her punk-pop-ass superstar brother? And her fiancé? They're all late."

"By ten minutes, big deal. It's like nine a.m., people are still driving to work- there's traffic." I chuckled. "You just want them to show up so you can actually try the cake."

Emma huffed and slammed her fork down onto the table, and walked away from Heather and I, gathered around the island on barstools, wandering off into the walk-in pantry. "I never said that."

Heather had called Mali up to reschedule the wedding cake tasting, that was supposed to initially take place the week she cancelled, to today. The only problem was that Mali and Jack were having air-conditioning problems in their place and Mali had insisted that if everyone were to head over to her's for the tasting, the cakes wouldn't be the only things that'd melt.

And so that was where I came in, as a boss-ass friend, who offered to just hold the tasting at our house. My parents were both out of the house for the day anyway for a press-conference.

"Um, speaking of them, and you." Heather bit her lip, looking away from me for a moment before clearing her throat. "I feel really bad about what happened, y'know, canceling the entire week? I really did have a cold. I was thinking I could take you all out to coffee or something sometime to make up for it."

"You're such a kiss-up." Emma suddenly snorted from inside the pantry, walking out with a party-sized bag of sweet chili Doritos. I squinted and groaned internally- I'd hidden those for myself in the very back, damn it! "Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts is not the key to forgiveness, honey."

"Emma!" I hissed, narrowing my eyes at her. She rolled her eyes once again before taking her original seat on the barstool beside me again. I looked back at Heather whose face was currently tinted pink. Suddenly, I kind of felt bad for her, regardless of how sudden and last-minute her cancellation of plans on Mali was. At least the girl was trying to clean up her mess. "I'll definitely mention it to them sometime, Heather."