twenty four » explanations and escapes

a/n - second to last chapter and second to last official author's note and i'm going to cry.

who's still got hope for team carum??

stay happy,

x bri.

-

[ cara ]

"So, she isn't going to jail," Dad let out a heavy breath and unscrewed the white cap of the medication container, picking two white and red-striped pills out with his fingers. He held them out to me, and I took them hesitantly. "she's getting sent to rehabilitation for five years and then has two years of imprisonment as a follow up."

"Kariana's straight up getting sent to jail, though." Elena added from where she was leaning against the doorframe. She was still dressed in black from head to toe, a long-sleeved blouse covering her arms where too many bruises were scattered. If I didn't know any better, I probably would've guessed she'd just attended a funeral and not a court trial for an eighteen year old girl and her sidekick who'd both kidnapped and abused her. "Four years."

I nodded faintly, practically unnoticeably, and fumbled with the two pills in my palm, not really feeling much of an urge to swallow them. Dad rose his eyebrows at me expectantly with the type of gaze that silently screamed, I'm not offering you to take those, you kind of have to take those - you know, for your health. I sighed to myself and tossed my head back, dry swallowing the pills that left a stale and dry taste on my tongue.

"How're you feeling?" Dad quietly asked, like he was trying to keep Elena from hearing him. "Have you felt nauseas lately? Lightheaded? Dizzy?"

"I'm fine."

"Doctor Williams was telling me over the phone last night that it's common for patients to feel physically ill during periods of mild depression."

That had me raising my eyebrows at him, this time, surprisedly, "You know, it's really wrong of you to just assume that somebody is depressed."

Dad pursed his lips, "You haven't left your room in five days, Car. You're drinking water, but you aren't eating. All you've done this week was sleep and sit awake in bed, staring straight ahead of you. You don't want anybody visiting or talking to you. You get cranky whenever people ask you questions and you've been avoiding your meds and you-"

"I'm fine, Dad."

"No, I don't think you are," he whispered, shaking his head in disagreement. His eyes were practically dripping pity and it aggravated me to the extent where I felt like I could kick him in the throat. All I wanted to know was why was he suddenly choosing now to care. This was such the wrong time for him to finally start oozing pity - did he only care when he saw me in a state like this? Is that what it took? Is that what it would take in order for me to actually see a humble side of my Dad? Would I have to cry first? Disconnect myself from the world for an entire week, first? Stop eating, and snap at people, and not leave my room for days straight, first? Would I actually have to break myself apart first for my Dad to actually show that he cares about me?

"You know what, Cara, I understand that. I understand where you're coming from, it's not like I don't." Dad snapped, sending me into the realization that I'd just said all of that aloud. I bit down on the inside of my cheek out of slight embarrassment. "Do you wanna know what I've been doing the past five days while you were in here? I wasn't going to work. When you heard my car pulling out of the driveway, I wasn't heading to the office - I was going to parent counseling because I felt like an absolute shit Dad. I haven't even told your Mom about this. Seeing how different you were after Calum found out the truth made me realize how many other alternative options there were to handling this situation, yet I went with the option that put you in the middle and ended with you being in pain, just so I could save my job. I couldn't sleep at all. I realize that I've never actually taken time to sit down and thoroughly appreciate you, so this is it. This is where I'm going to start, this is what I owe you, not as a business partner or as the mayor, but as your Dad. I owe you this much, I owe you at least this. I get that it's wrong of me to start caring just now, but I'm trying to get better, Car. That's all."