Chapter 1

You glared at the mountain in front of you. It was there, you knew. It was there you would die. What with all of the pain you've endured from everyone on this godforsaken planet. Today, you finally snapped. Today... was your last day on earth. It didn't matter now what set you off. It didn't matter that your parent's left you because they wanted to live in Hawaii. It didn't matter that the only relative that could take you in was found dead on her floor.

None of that mattered. All that mattered now was the hike up the mountain. It was said that if you set foot on the mysterious Mt. Ebott, you never returned. Whether that was true or a myth was irrelevant. You had a rope with you just in case. If the mountain didn't kill you, you were determined to go with the alternative. It wasn't like anyone would notice your absence. As previously mentioned, your parents and all close relatives were gone, and you had never really talked much at high school. No one would miss you.

You trudged up the mountain face, your expression solemn. These were your final moments on earth, after all. After about a half hour of walking, you sat on the grassy floor to rest. Were you really going to do this? Were you really going to kill yourself? As you stood up, the ground rumbled under you. Your eyes widened in fear as the ground seemed to open up, like a demon opening it's mouth. And just like a hungry demon, the mountain swallowed you up.

As you fell, you couldn't help but think of all the things you never got to do in life. You never got to have a first kiss, or go on a date. You never got to show anyone the art you made, or read anyone the lyrics of the songs you wrote. You never got to get married, or hell, even have a boyfriend. You never got to have the joy of having a child of your own. Tears streamed down your face, as you suddenly realized that you wanted to live.

You closed your eyes and accepted your unfortunate fate. There wasn't anything you could do to stop it. And then you hit it. It felt softer than the ground. Maybe it was because you were already dead? Killed on impact, an impact that you didn't feel. You opened your teary eyes gingerly, unsure of what you wee going to see. It was dark. You moved to get up, feeling no pain from your fall. As you turned to look at where you landed, you smiled. Though it didn't make much sense for golden flowers, which is what you landed on, to flourish without any sunlight, the plants seemed to thrive in the inside of the mountain. Now, you knew this was the inside of the mountain because of one detail, and that detail was that there was a large hole about a hundred feet upwards. You fell into the mountain.

A thought echoed through your head, saying that you were just imagining all of this and that you had died from the fall. You didn't doubt it. As you looked around the cave-like room, you saw an opening that led out to a dark passageway. You didn't ever really fear the dark, instead seeing the blackness as comforting. So when you saw the dark passageway, you felt somewhat at ease. You turned and walked down this short, dark, passageway... coming to stop in front of a grassy spot that was for some reason in the light. Though, the light source was unknown.

At the foot of the grassy spot, there kneeled a furry boy dressed in a green and yellow sweater and blue pants. The boy looked up at you and frowned. His eyes were read and glassy, looking as though he had recently been crying.

"Who are you?" The boy's voice was soft and full of confusion. It took you a few seconds to realize he was talking to you. "I'm Y/N." Your voice shook a little, and you suddenly realized how close you were to breaking down on the spot. "Who are you?" You asked quietly. The boy stood up and held his hand out to you, a sad smile on his face. "They used to call me Asriel." You nodded and shook Asriel's hand.

"Nice to meet you." You seemed to be calming down as you shook hands with the small boy, who you realized looked somewhat like a goat. Ancient verses ran through your head from a storybook you read yourself.

Long ago, two races ruled over the earth... Humans and Monsters.

One day, war broke out between the two races.

After a long battle, the Humans were victorious.

They sealed the Monsters underground with a magic spell.

You looked at Asriel with a slight frown. "Are you a... m-monster?" Asriel looked a little startled by the question and shook his head no. "They call us that but we aren't! We would never hurt anyone! Please-" You quickly bent down and hugged the small boy, rubbing soothing circles into his back. "Shhhhhhhh, shhhhh, it's okay Asriel. I know you aren't a monster monster." Asriel sniffled and hugged you tightly. The small boy was about as tall as your stomach, you noticed as you stood up again. You grabbed Asriel and hoisted him onto your shoulders.

"Do you wanna go explore with me?" Asriel looked slightly troubled, but you couldn't see it. "I dunno... people think I'm dead." Your eyes widened as you stopped walking. "What?" Asriel told you a short story about finding a small human on the bed of golden flowers, and how he led her to the castle. You learned that Asriel used to be the son of the king and queen of all monsters. Asriel then proceeded to tell you about Chara's plan to poison herself, and about how she died and Asriel absorbed her soul. It was a sad story, especially at the end where he told you that he died as well. You stopped him there, deciding it would be best to leave it at that.

You began walking again after Ariel's story, and you soon came to a door with a puzzle. "Asriel, where is this?" Asriel's sigh echoed throughout the room. "This is the entrance to the Ruins."

(Word count: 1,064)