Chapter 13: School washrooms suck

As the days passed, Gerard got more and more excited by the idea of this band they started. They had only been together for almost a month yet he could feel like this could actually be a thing they can do in the future. Pete's band, for example, was  already taking off. They already played several shows during the summer and they had this huge gig coming up yet they still have two years left of high school.

Speaking of the gig coming up, Gerard's band needed to start getting ready. It was three months away and they needed to figure out a set list. They've only been practicing song covers  but they really needed their own original songs. He kept sorting through his already written songs. They were either unfinished, too emotional for Gerard, or needed to be completely rewritten.

Gerard decided to start rewriting some of the more decent songs which turned out to be a hard task as they were just angry and sad spurts of words he threw to make a song and also the fact that his writing back then was near illegible. Despite the songs needing editing, they weren't bad. Gerard had to give himself a pat on the back for actually being good at something.

And that's what Gerard did in his spare time but sometimes it got out of hand. He nearly pulled an all nighter to finish a song called "Thank You For The Venom" and completely forget about his chemistry test the next day which he didn't study for. He doubts he passed, probably scoring a zero as the only studying he did was before class and Frank giving him a quick crash course.

As he walked into class the next day, he began to wonder what his parents would say if he failed. Mr. and Mrs. Way were pretty chill parents so he assumed it wouldn't be a big deal just as long as he doesn't fail the class. Gerard sat down at his lab station and started to set up to the lab they were doing.

"Hey!" Frank slung his bag over the chair next to Gerard. Fortunately, they were paired up at the beginning of the year. "Ready to get that test back?"

"I probably failed. You saw how hopeless I was yesterday trying to study."

"Don't worry. Anyway we don't need chemistry if we are in a band." smirks Frank as he poured some yellow liquid into a flask.

"We need it to graduate though. Here, let me put the powder in there." Gerard grabbed the flask and started to stir the contents."Then again, even if the band fails, which it won't, I'd go to art school."

Gerard worried about Frank. He didn't have much of a back up plan. Sure he has high grades and could probably get into several good colleges but Gerard knew Frank only got those to not upset his mom.

"It's not like my mom is gonna kill me if I fail." Frank said as if he read Gerard's thoughts. "I just don't want to disappoint her. She never went to college herself and now she has a son who wants to be in a band and cover his skin in tattoos."

"Speaking of the band." Gerard changed topics before he could put Frank in a bad mood."How's it going for the instrumentals in the new song?"

"Amazing actually." He replied, playing some air guitar before the teacher passed by and gave him a death stare. "I really love your songs. Keep writing." Gerard blushed a bit before returning to the lab.

Their conversation carried on like that for a while. Just talking and doing science until the teacher silenced the class to say that he's passing out their last tests. Gerard finished up the lab even though they were halfway done class. For some reason he was nervous about getting the test back.Frank noticed and took the flask out of Gerard's hand.

"Here let me go clean it." He packed up the materials in box tray they were originally in and made his way to the sinks in the front of the class. Gerard watched as the teacher went  around, passing out the tests. Finally, he got to Gerard and handed him the test.