Chapter 21:Little less eyeliner and a little more kiss me

"Michael James Way! Why on earth did you punch a classmate?" Mrs.Way raised her voice as soon as Mikey walked down the stairs. She wanted-no demanded- to know what had happened the day before. When they came home last night after detention, Mikey immediately went to his room and their mother was too exhausted from work to scold him.

"I didn't punch a classmate." Mikey replied, rolling his eyes. Gerard, who was at the breakfast counter eating his cereal, hoped his brother wouldn't drag him into this argument.

"Then why was the boy on the floor crying in pain? " Their mother raised an eyebrow suspiciously. Her youngest son had never been the violent type.

"Well," Mikey sighed,"I did try to punch him but my fist collided with air instead. He pinned me up against a locker so I did what I had to do before he punched me,"  He smirked remembering what had happened. "I kicked him in the crotch."

Gerard let out a small laugh but quickly covered it up with a cough knowing it wasn't the right time. Still, he wished he could have saw Todd in that moment of humiliation.

"Oh because that's totally better than punching someone." She replied sarcastically,"At least your brother got a three hour detention for just being a smart ass."

Gerard immediately slouched in his chair, trying to hide from this conversation. Of course his dad, who was siting near by reading the newspaper, saw and let out a small chuckle, resulting a death stare from his wife.

"It was self defence, mom." Mikey argued back,"That guy was mouthing off at me and wouldn't stop." Both the brothers knew it wasn't just the comments that let to Mikey lashing out. It was the entire Gerard situation that had build up until now.
"He wasn't going to stop."

"For whatever reason, you don't just try and punch someone again." Their mother sighed. Gerard got a glimpse of his dad smirking once again behind his newspaper. As a dad, he might not tolerate violence but part of him was proud of his son for standing up.

Of course their mother caught sight of that as well and sighed for the tenth time that morning,"Honey, do not encourage our sons to  resort to violence. Mikey was standing up for himself but he should have did it verbally."

"But Gerard got a three hour detention for mouthing off. Verbal defence my butt." Mikey looked at his brother with an apologetic look for him being thrown under the bus once again,"The guy wouldn't listen so I did it the only way he would understand."

"Your brother had a bad day. He was tired just let it out at a teach-" Donna tried to argue but Mikey cut her off

"And I'm not allowed to have a bad day?"Mikey snapped suddenly, making Gerard jump a bit. He rarely got this defensive with his parents."I'm tired of being quiet. I'm tired of no one listening to me."

"Michael, I didn't mean it like that," His mother tried to apologize but he was already walking away from the kitchen."Michael!"

Mikey grabbed his bag and headed towards the front door. "I'm going to Pete's because he actually cares about me and, for the one thousandth time, yes I have my damn inhaler with me."

Gerard felt bad. It was all his fault Mikey felt like this. Ever since Gerard first got beat up, Mikey had to become the older brother and had to help him through everything. Even though he insisted it didn't bother him, Gerard knew his brother was tired of being the stronger one and today was the day he finally snapped. He just wanted everyone to leave him be.