chapter 10

~new years eve~
"marie, are you ready yet? the boys are picking us up in 10 minutes!" i exclaimed. 
"almost! let me just put my lip stuff on!!" she yelled back. the boys were picking us up for the newsies' new years party in ten minutes, yet she was still getting ready.
"ok! im done. let's go." she said, starting to open the door.
"marie.... they aren't here yet." i looked at her weirdly.
"wait, you said ten minutes?! i thought you said two!!! i have ten extra minutes to get ready!!" she exclaimed, running back to her room. i sighed, sitting down on the couch and turned the tv on. the tv was so loud that i didn't hear the door open behind me, so i was surprised when someone kissed the top of my head.
"hey el." andrew said, wrapping his arms around my waist from behind.
"hey a. you're early." i said, not turning around, just enjoying his embrace.
"yeah, garrett knew we would be late if we didn't leave early because of all the traffic. it's one of the biggest days of the year in new york city." he explained.
"gotcha. well, marie should be out any second-" i was cut off by marie running out of her room again.
"OK IM READY NOW. ARE THEY HERE YE-oh. hi." she said, slowing down, looking a little defeated.
"they are early, no you did not waste the extra ten minutes. now let's go, finally." i said, and andrew released me from the hug as i got up and turned the tv off.
we decided to walk to the boy's house, just in case one of us had a little too much alcohol.
andrew and i walked hand in hand down the street, swinging our connected arms. when we arrived at tommy and ryan's, clara opened the door.
"oh thank goodness you are here. i need some sober help." clara exclaimed, ushering us inside.
"oh good. we were just talking about you! we were trying to imitate you when you see that the shamrock shake is back at mcdonalds for the first time." andy richardson said to garrett as we walked into the living room. i could tell the boys were all kind of drunk, which was a little scary. andy was punch drunk i hoped, since we were not yet legal to drink.
"you didn't start the party without us i hope!?" andrew exclaimed, pulling me over to a chair where both of us could sit.
"we have only been through like, i don't know, one beer each and half a bottle of champagne spread out of all of us? well the champagne was mostly drunk by andy." ryan stated, but you could tell he was having a hard time calculating how much they had drunk.
"ill find the blow up mattresses and cots if there are any." i said to clara, and we set off in opposite directions to search the house for anything the boys could sleep on tonight. obviously they were not going to be in good shape to walk or drive home. i came back to the living room with two blow up mattresses, a cot, and a sleeping pad thing. clara came back with her arms full of pillows of all sizes that we could use to make a bed or two.
"marie, help me set these up." i told marie, and she grabbed the pump i had in my hand and inserted it into one of the air mattresses.
"better to get this done now while we aren't too tired and are all the way sober than later when we are exhausted and a little less than sober." clara said, and i nodded in agreement. we finished setting everything up, each grabbed a glass of champagne, and sat down in the living room.
"hey! you aren't 21!" garrett protested as i sat next to andrew.
"yes, but im going to have one or two glasses of champagne, it's not a crime. i have had way more than that before. and besides, andy is younger than me and you already got him drunk so.." i explained.
"well i didn't but fair enough. now you my friend, you are definitely not allowed to drink. ella's drinking is ultimately up to andrew, but you are mine and you can't drink." garrett said, looking at marie, who was sitting next to him.
"mhm. you keep telling yourself that." she said, drinking a sip of champagne.

in what seemed like only minutes but was really hours, it was 11:59.
"is everyone ready?" ben exclaimed. the tv and everyone in the room began to count.
"10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1!! HAPPY NEW YEAR!!" everyone exclaimed. well except for me. right after i said one, andrew pulled me close and our lips connected, and we kept kissing as everyone screamed happy new year and blew noise makers and popped little confetti cannons. it seemed like we were kissing forever. when we finally pulled apart, andrew said,
"happy new year." and held out his champagne glass to me for a toast.
"happy new year." i said, grinning like a fool and clinking my glass to his. after taking a sip of his champagne, he pulled me in for another kiss.
"come with me." he said after we pulled apart. he grabbed my hand, and pulled me out the door, both of us still holding our glasses of champagne. he pulled me down the hall and up a small flight of stairs. at the end, there was a door, and he opened it and pulled us through.
"woah." i breathed, looking out at where i was. andrew had brought us onto the roof of the apartment, and the veiw was incredible. now it was me pulling him over to the side of the roof to get a better look at the city below. it was a beautiful sight. lots of people were walking the streets, coming home from parties or from the ball drop in times square.
"this is...amazing." i turned to look at andrew, who was looking at me, enjoying my amazement.
"i know. that's why i brought you out here." he smiled at me.
"thank you." i rested my head on his shoulder, looking out at the view.

i wouldn't rather start the new year any other way.