Go to Church

Chapter Eight:
Go to Church

My mom came up to my room the next morning at exactly eight. She called for breakfast before going to church and she quite surprised to see me already wide awake. I was there sitting on my bed with my legs crossed, and typing away in my laptop for another essay that's due in yet another two weeks. I was bored, and I couldn't get back to sleep so why the hell not?

I've been awake since five in the morning, with a nagging headache from a terrible dream. I vaguely remembered that I was with a group of people, in a crowded and brightly lit place while whispers and continous conversations can be heard everywhere. I was there with the crowd, hanging out like we're all best friends.

The people in my dream were all friendly. I couldn't see what they look like. They had faces that were familiar, but I didn't know who they were. They seem so friendly enough to make me enjoy my time with them.

But everytime I speak, the volume of their voice increases. I thought at first that they didn't understand what I said, so I would repeat myself louder. But they got even more louder.

I was confused. I didn't say anymore and just listened. Overtime, each and everyone of them started to scream at me. I got scared, and I was screaming back at them with a voiceless cry.

Then, I couldn't breathe.

That was when I woke up, feeling completely horrified. It was messed up, and I didn't like it one bit. Sure, I had nightmares from when I was a kid but that was mostly because I watched a scary movie.

This time though, I literally felt like I was drowning. Drowning from people and their screams. I was in complete and utter fear. I wanted someone to comfort me, someone to talk to me, to calm me down.

So I went to my parents room and was going to knock, until I realized how childish I was being. I dropped my shaky hand, and went back to my room with a sinking feeling in my chest.

At that point, I was in panic and almost in tears. I tried calling Natasha, but she didn't answer and it went to her voice mail. Then, I called Dennis but his phone was off.

Sniffing, and wiping away my tears, I sat down on my bed and leaned back. My feet were on the edge, my head resting on a stuffed bear, and my whole face felt uncomfortably hot.

I scroll down to my limited contact list and skipped Thomas. Then the name Dani Dubois stopped me on my tracks and I actually thought about calling her.

Would it be weird? What the hell, what's the worst that could happen? She probably won't pick up anyways.

So I dared myself to press the call button. It rang twice, and she picked it up. She didn't say anything for a while, and I didn't either.

"Hello." It was a greeting, and she knew it was me. She didn't sound groggy from sleep, she sounded like she's wide awake. "It's five in the morning." She stated the obvious.

"I know." I replied, my voice sounding disgusting and phlemy. I cleared my throat but end up coughing instead. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have bothered you. I should just hang up-"

"No, don't." She said. "Have you been crying?"

Immediately, I wiped my tears again, and pressed my face against my hand, as I exhaled softly and tried to control my breathing.