Tension and Tryouts

Chapter Fifteen:
Tension and Tryouts

"So you're not Chinese?" I asked Gina, while we were both getting ready for the tryouts. I adjusted my socks, because I hate it when they don't level with the other sock on my calves. It's just a pet-peeve of mine, or I just have OCD. I don't really know.

Then, I carefully untied the knots that formed on my old basketball shoes. They looked worn-out, and I love it. It showed how hard I worked to be on the A-team for three years straight. This year would be my last, and I'm hoping these shoes would survive with me.

I tied up my hair, and thankfully I have a pair of emergency contact lenses in my locker, so that I wouldn't have to run with my glasses on. I could, but my glasses are too precious to me. I didn't want to risk it.

Gina and I were both dressed in our last year's royal blue, warm-up jerseys, that doesn't have our official number on it. Some of the other girls from last year were wearing them too, while the new girls were dressed in our school's Phy. Ed. clothes which consists of royal blue shorts, and a white T-shirt, with our school's logo on the left upper-side, which was a cross, and an open bible below a torch.

The difference was obvious. You could tell which ones were the veterans, and which ones were the newbies. Mostly because the newbies looked ridiculous in our Phys. Ed. uniform. The uniform itself looked ridiculous.

"Mave, we've known each other since freshman year, and you still don't know?"

"Well, what kind of Asian are you?" I asked. Gina rolled her eyes, and shook her head at me. I suddenly felt bad for asking that, mostly because it sounded very dumb. "I'm so sorry!" I quickly apologized, and gave her an innocent grin.

"I'm very dissapointed in you." Gina replied. She gasped, then looked at me in horror. "Oh my god, I sound like my mom."

"That's probably the most stereotypical thing I've ever heard." I said, laughing at her face. Gina laughed with me, as she took one of my hair ties on my wrist and tied her hair up.

"I'm a Flip."

"A what?" I asked in confusion.

"I'm one of the Flips." Gina replied. "I'm a Filipino."

"Well, you look Chinese." I said. "And Korean."

"You look, Scottish." Gina replied. "You look like one of those white people."

"I'm not Scottish." I said, while Gina gave me this pointed look. "Oh." I muttered in realization, feeling stupid.

"Now you know how it feels." She said, and tucking her jersey in her basketball shorts. "Don't assume things, Mave. Some Asians get really offended by this, for example, like my mom. I don't give a shit though, because I understand that they don't know, which I think is still stupid- no offense."

"Non taken." I said, chuckling and also tucking the jersey in my shorts.

Gina and I chatted for a bit, while coaches and other teachers try to organize the gym equipments. They were setting up orange pylons, marking the key lines, and marking the three-point lines with hockey tape.

I saw Dani walking out of the change room, with the Phys. Ed. uniform on, and I couldn't help but laugh. I mean, it doesn't look bad on her, it's the look of disgust on her face that got me. She knew that the uniform sucks, and I find that hilarious.