Because Feelings Gets In The Way

Chapter Twelve:
Because Feelings Gets In The Way

        Everyone in the party started singing happy birthday, while Dani's grandparent's held the cake up to her. I happened to be right beside Dani at that moment, and she stared at me as if asking me if I was alright. All I could do was stare back because she was there when we witnessed Dennis and Thomas... And she's acting like nothing happened. On the other hand, I can't seem to keep still.

I searched for Dennis, but he was nowhere to be found. I messed up, Mave. Dennis had said. What the hell, of course he messed up. They messed up. Then, I saw Natasha, and my heart sank at the sight of her. She was still with her parents, frowning and looking worried. I tried to go up to her, but Dani had held my arm back and put me back to my place.

"Stay." She said, as she shook her head at my intentions.

I sighed, and watched as Dani's grandparent's both kissed her cheek, saying, "Happy birthday, sweetie" and laid the cake on the table to start serving it. It was really sweet for them to do this for Dani, and I think it's pretty amazing how they're being really thoughtful.

But to my confusion, I didn't see her parents. Her grandparents were the ones who entertained all these people, and not another Dubois member of the family was seen or introduced furthermore.

Then people started to give presents, and I was so surprised to see that my parents had one to give. Then there's me, feeling like an ass for not giving any. Dani seemed to notice this and started to laugh at me.

"I told you, it's fine." She said.

"I'm so upset over this, you have no idea." I said, "People deserve gifts for their birthdays!"

"And I'm receiving plenty."

"None from me, apparently."

"I'm still up for that kiss." She joked, and burst out laughing as she said her thank you's to the people who handed her presents.

I rolled my eyes and ate a watermelon, because I was actually thinking about giving her a kiss on the cheek. Would it be weird? Nah, it wouldn't be weird. Should I?

I shrugged my shoulders because so what? Then I went on my toes to give Dani a quick peck on the cheek, not caring if some of the watermelon juice were on my lips when I did it.

"There we go." I said as I pulled back, nodding my head in satisfaction. "Happy birthday, Dani."

Dani narrowed her eyes at me, the look of hers that I've been seeing quite a lot lately. Then she grinned, and gave out a soft giggle while nudging my shoulder. A hint of pink blush was creeping out of her cheek, and forming on to her ears.

"Thanks, Maverick."

For awhile, Dani and I ate cake, and I really tried to join the conversation with her and her grandparents, but then I saw Nat again, then poof... My mind went elsewhere.

I don't really know what to feel when Nat keeps looking Tom in the great hall. I sighed and tried to calm myself down, and realized that knowing someone's secret can really mess us up in the head. It surely came as a surprise to me that Tom and Dennis were in a secret relationship. But are they really in a relationship?