Thou Shall Not Insult Me Part 1

Chapter Thirteen Part 1/3:
Thou Shall Not Insult Me

"Maverick, you look tired." Said Ms Shatilla, my old English teacher as she handed out booklets for our new Hamlet assignment.

"Are you telling me that I don't look good today?" I asked our teacher in amusement while the class laughed at my comment. Ms Shatilla just chuckled and told everyone to be quiet, and quickly dismissing the subject.

I felt self-conscious all of a sudden, and told myself that I shouldn't give a damn. I looked fine. There were bags under my eyes, no doubt about that, but I hid them behind my framed glasses. I still believe that I look somewhat presentable with my comfy, white knitted sweater that fits perfectly, a pair of dark skinny jeans, and a pair of tan-coloured combat boots. My dark hair probably looks like a mess, and I ran my hand through them, to somewhat loosen any knots.

I took one booklet, and handed the rest behind me. When I turned around as I hand them out, Dani was sitting on the back corner which was my original seat, and was staring at me. Her stare was so blank, that for a second, I thought that she was spacing out. But then I realized that she was spacing out, so I waved a hand at her to get her attention.

Dani seemed to snap out of it, and shook her head, a blush coming out of cheeks and looked away quickly.

"The hell?" I whispered to myself, frowning at her, and wondering if she got mad at me when I decided to follow Thomas and made a scene in front of Natasha earlier this morning. Tsk. It was him that made a scene, not me! I turned around again while Ms Shatilla told us to look at our booklets.

It said,

Slam Poetry Presentation
You will be assigned a quote from Hamlet, and use it as an inspiration to tell a story as a poet. You may speak from personal experiences, or not (I don't care, just be creative). You may work as an individual, with a partner, or in groups.

Evaluation:
Physical Presence: /10
Voice and Articulation: /20
Dramatic Appropriateness: /20
Evidence of Understanding: /30
Overall Performance: /20

The next page contains the rubric of each evaluation.

"Ms Shatill-" I called out as I immediately raised my hand up in the air.

"No Maverick, you may not work on your own." She cut me off, giving me this knowing look as if she knows what I'm thinking already. The class laughed because our teacher knows me too well to predict what I might say.

"How did you know that I wanted to work on my own?" I asked, and grinned at her innocently. Ms Shatilla shook her head in disbelief, because yes, I do prefer to work on my own, and I don't see any problem with that except for her, apparently.

"I think it's best if you're in a group, or paired up with a person." She explained, giving me a stern look. "You've only worked on your own, and I'm afraid that your cooperating skills aren't being practiced." She said, holding on to her hips and mocking me in a light way.

"That's because she doesn't have any cooperating skills." Said Nicole, the girl that's sitting beside me. She was holding on to her booklet, and staring at it while appearing nonchalant. Obviously, she's pretending that she didn't say anything mean. I turned my head at her, surprised to hear her talk about me that way.