Chapter 32

Chapter 32
Rose
Zoey, her friends Jane and Kate and I filed into the same booth that Patrick and I sat in a month ago. I was so surprised by what they wore in this weather.
Jane wore a black dress with long sleeves and a V-neck that showed off her large tanned breasts. Her fizzy black hair was out making her look like she had an afro.
Kate, was a white fragile thing. Small breasts, blonde hair and pale skin. But her choice of clothes made her just as pretty as Jane and Zoey. A tight black skirt that stopped halfway down her thighs and a white singlet. She wore her hair in a hair ponytail showing off her neck and letting her long blonde hair trail down her back.
Zoey was clearly the standout. Her red hair was straight and out. Again, she also wore a dress. It was black and clung to her body with thick straps.
When I had my hair out, wearing only jeans, a knitted jumper that fell down my shoulders with a white singlet underneath.
I couldn't stop thinking about what Patrick said about Zoey. She's a...trollop.
Is that what he had thought of me when I first came to Pinecone Manner, I was like Zoey. Wearing tight clothes because tight clothes gets guys attention. That's the rule. Everybody knew that. I guess the thing that surprised me most was that I wasn't wearing what they were.
My stomach turned when I saw the guy from a month ago. I turned my head and buried it in my hands. Don't come over here, don't come over here.
"Hey look its Tommy. Hey Tommy!" Jane called making me want to wrap my hand around her mouth.
"Hey Tommy, do you know Ro –."
"So Beautiful, you don't have your friend tonight?" he talked over Zoey coming to the table. Damn it, damn it.
"Who's her friend?" Jane asked as Tommy slid in next to Kate and her. His eyes were glued to mine making me feel small.
"Sir Patrick," he answered.
"Sir? You mean Lord, remember," Kate corrected.
"Do you actually call him that?" I asked feeling strange. I couldn't see the word rolling off my tongue.
"We can call him whatever we when if he's not around," Tommy said.
"If? He never leaves the mansion," Kate corrected.
"Like what?" I asked.
The thought of them talking badly of him made my insides burn.
"Murderer."
The three of the girl chuckled to themselves at Tommy's joke when my stare was cold and hard. My heart was going a million miles an hour. I never felt so much rage in my life.
"Something wrong, Beautiful?" he asked me.
I clutched on my glass and raised to take a drink.
"Don't call me that?"
The girls raised their eyebrows. Clearly nobody had resisted the charm of Tommy.
"What does Sir Patrick call you?" he asked.
I wished he would call me sexy kitten but we can't get what we went.
"Miss," I answered.
Again, the girls laughed. Was this entertaining for them? I guess the new girl not taking a shine to the town hot stuff was new. I took another sip of my drink.
"A girl that isn't falling for Tommy's charm, is there such a thing?" Zoey joked.
"I have other tricks up sleeve," he bragged.
"I bet you do."
"Yes. You have a beautiful name Rose."
I could almost gag
"I was named after my father's dead dog."
"Do you like dogs?"
I shrugged, "Not at all."
"That's good."
"Why?"
"Because your one of the few that don't."
"I see that as a good thing."
"Do you often try to be different?" he asked.
"I don't try, it just happens."
"I bet it does."
"What is that supposed to mean?" I asked.
"Well women normally crumble at my feet."
I shrugged, taking a sip of my drink.
"I don't crumble."
"That's amazing because you're flirting with me."
I stopped and stared at him. A sickly grin formed on his face as my knuckles went white from how tight I was holding the glass.
"No I'm not," my voice was defensive. The girls started to giggle to themselves.
"Yes you are."
"Well then flirting is different here than it is in America."
"Ahh yeah, was it's like in America?"
I shrugged taking my purse.
"Thanks for the drink,"
I slid out of the booth and headed to the door.
I felt the harsh wind pick up as I stepped out onto the snow.
"Rose!" I turned at Zoey's voice, "Wait! Where are you going?"
"Home, I shouldn't have come," I admitted knowing that Patrick was right. He was always right.
"What are you talking about?" she asked.
"I lied Zoey. I used to be that girl that went to pubs to get laid and wore tight clothes because that's the only way I knew how to feel better. But I'm not that girl anymore. I used to go for guys like Tommy. But I know better know. You should too."
I went to turn around but she stopped me.
"No wait. I'm sorry about Tommy. And you're right, he is a total sleaze. But he's the best guy around here."
"No, he's not," I shook my head feeling warm with the thought of Patrick's body against mine.
"You really are sleeping with him, aren't you?" she asked.
I wrapped my arms around myself, "Don't tell anyone okay. Not even Jane and Kate."
She nodded, "Sure, your secrets safe with me."
I smiled and turned towards the dirt road that led up the hill. She was more then what she wore. She hid behind walls like me. She just didn't have anyone to break them down.
I opened the door to the house feeling its warmth. But instead of going down the stairs to my room, I went up the stairs to his.
I sighed when I saw Patrick asleep. I walked around to the other side of the bed and climb in next to him. I wrapped my arms around him and muzzle my nose in his back taking in his smell.
"You're cold," he groaned.
"Then warm me up."
He rolled over to face me. I quickly buried my face in his shirt.
"How was your night?" he asked.
I sighed, "You were right?"
I could practically see the surprise on his face.
"Really?"
"Yeah. Not about Zoey, but, I guess, I'm just not that girl anymore."
"Of course not Rose. You're with me now."
I looked up to see his face. I could just see the blue of his eyes in the dark.
"And that's all that matters, right?"
"Right."
We both sighed as Patrick pulled me closer. His warmth heated me better than the heater itself.
I fell asleep in his arms and dreamt of everything possible. Something I haven't done in a long time.