Chapter 61

Chapter 61
Patrick
I tapped my finger on Jeremey Fisher's file, sitting nervously at the police station. Again the little old lady watched me through the window as I waited for Sargent Jones.
When Sargent Jones came down the hall, I shook his hand with a warm smile.
"Sargent."
"Patrick," we greeted formally, "What can I do for you today?"
I looked around cautiously, "Is there a place we can go where we won't be heard?"
He exhaled as if he was annoyed and led me down a cool hallway. He opened the door to a dark room with only a desk and four chairs around it. He stood on one side and I stood on the other. I through the file down, his eyes took to it like a magnet.
"What's this?" he asked.
"Open it," I told him. He did and frowned, "this file is everything my father found out about Jeremey Fisher, the man who sent the hit men. My family wasn't the only people that were part of this man's sick mind," I said as he flipped through the newspapers, "There's threats about what this guy would do to him if he didn't sell. And now we know his name. We could nail this guy."
He put his hands up making me stop, "let's not get our hopes up."
I frowned, "Why not? We have all the evidence we need. We know that they met somewhere in London, and a note saying who this guy was. What else do we need?"
"Look, Patrick, we've known about Jeremey Fisher and his deals for a while."
I frowned, "excuse me, what the hell do I pay you for? To give me information and you kept this from me!"
I didn't mean to raise my voice. But the thought of him already knowing about Jeremey Fisher was a kick in the gut.
"I didn't know the connection with your family and him till now, I swear. But this man is dangerous, why do you think we haven't caught the guy?"
"Because the London police station is full of cowards. If you won't help me, I'll find someone who will."
I stormed out of the station ignoring the Sargent's calls to come back and be rational.
I wanted to hit something. How could I be so naïve, stupid?  I had been taken for a fool.
I walked down the streets of London, ignoring the glances people gave me.
Just look away. My jaw tighten as I began to control my anger. You're a fool. You're a fool, you're a fool, you're fool. Just like your father. I stopped and shook that thought out of my head. I am not my father.
I turned my head and spotted something through a glass window of a jewellery shop. My anger seemed to float away as I thought of Rose wearing it. Her birthday.
I climbed up the four steps and opened the door into the shop. The girl at the counter immediately looked up.
"Hey, how much is that neckless in the window?"