Chapter 54

Chapter 54
Rose
This had been the fifth dress I've tried on. I was blinded by the fluoro pink colour as it hugged my thighs tight stopping half way down them. I sighed feeling tired if this already.
"Hurry up, Rose!" Called Jane on the other side of the curtain. Damn this.
I pulled open the curtain seeing their faces turn blank.
Together they said, "No."
I groaned in frustration, "I've never gone to a ball. I don't know anything."
"That's why we're here, Rose. To help you," Zoey said trying to calm my thoughts.
"Have you guys ever gone to a ball before?" I asked.
They went silent.
"I'm doomed."
"But we know at least how to dress for one and that's not it," Kate said looking me up and down.
"Then tell me what I need to wear," I asked. I was running out of options. The thought of British bitches going played in my mind every day. The image of them turning up their noses at me, thinking she's nothing by an American Wash in. These people Patrick knew well and it didn't matter how much he had changed he was always going to be one of them. I needed to try and appear to be like them.
"Just give me a minute," Zoey said and she disappeared around a wall to where the dresses were, leaving me freaking out.
"Calm down, Rose," Jane said.
"Easy for you to say, you found your dress at the first store we went to."
"That's because I know a good dress when I see one."
"How?" I asked. I had never been a dress person. I didn't like going shopping and when I did it was quick.
She shrugged, "it's about knowing your body. What colour matches your skin, your hair, your eyes. What style fits your body structure? And what fabric you're comfortable with."
"And you just know this."
"Yeah, it's about knowing what your body likes and doesn't like."
"Well my body doesn't like me and likes to make me miserable."
"But it got you a guy like Patrick," Kate piped up.
"No, that I was my charming personality," I couldn't even hide the sarcasm in my voice.
They both giggled as if I was joking.
"Yeah, right," Kate giggled.
"Oh I got it," Zoey called coming from the behind a wall. She held a gold dress over her arm as it sparkled in the light. I touched the thin fabric looking upon it.
"What are you waiting for, try it on."
I bit my lip taking the dress from her.
The thin silky fabric clung to me making my curves stand out. The dress was long and formed a pile of material at my feet. It was a V-neck held up with two thin straps and supported my breasts. I slyly curved a lock of hair behind my ears looking at myself. I barely recognized myself. Had I really changed that much? Had being with Patrick helped me become the person I'd been looking for? Me.
"Come on Rose," Zoey giggled.
This was it. This was the one.

When I had been working in London, I barely had enough money to enjoy it. But with three of my friends, eating fancy food at a café watching red double-decker bus drive pass, England was looking pretty good.
I took a mouth full of food almost groaned as the taste. Zoey and Kate gave me weird looks.
"What? It's good."
They giggled as a grin spread on my face. Things were finally going right. I had friends, money I could actually spend on good lunch, a place to call home, a dog, a carer and a perfect man.
"Hey," I felt a hand on my shoulder and looked up to see Patrick.
"Hey, get your jobs done?" I asked.
"All done. How did you girls go?"
"Only after five shops did we find one that suited her," Zoey said as if annoyed. The girls laughed and I was surprised to find that I was too.
"You know what, we can't leave till we've hit the clubs," Jane said. I immediately looked up to Patrick. His face dropped.
"Jane, I don't think -."
"Oh come on Patrick, it will be fun. We can make a night out of it."
"But we told Jenson -."
"And your Butler runs your life?" Kate butted in before Patrick could finish.
"He's Rose's boss. I don't think he can let her off."
"But you pay her, right?" Jane asked.
"Yeah."
"Then I say you make the decisions," Jane said. Patrick and I shared looks, "oh come on guys. It's one night. If our parents can survive without us, I'm sure Jenson can."
Patrick groaned giving in.
"Fine, one night. But it's at a backpacker's motel. And you three get one room and Rose and I are in a different room."
It made my heart melt the fact that he still wanted our time together even though we wouldn't be at Pinecone Manner.
"Trust me Patrick, I don't want to be in a room where people are getting it on when I'm not," Jane told him. Zoey and Kate stifled a giggle when Patrick and I stayed quiet. He gave me a look that said are you okay with this?
I shrugged. I hadn't been out in a while. Maybe it might take the edge off. Maybe.