Chapter 58

Chapter 58
Patrick
There were people everywhere. People setting up tables, the band setting up their instruments and the decorators had just finished with the gold and silver balloons.
I jumped when I felt a hand on my back.
"This was a good idea, Sir," Jenson said watching the people walking back and forth.
"Have you seen, Rose?" I asked my mind buzzing with excitement. I couldn't wait to see her.
"I have," I turned wanting him to tell me at least something, "I have been silenced."
I groaned, "come on Jenson, shouldn't our bond be greater then theirs."
"You didn't make threats."
I frowned, curious, "what type of threats?"
He turned away from me, "I don't want to talk about it."
I laughed knowing what type of threat they would have made.
"Okay, if you don't tell me at least something, you're fired."
He snorted, "I like to see you survive. You can't even boil water."
"I can boil water."
"How can you tell when water is at the right temperature?" He asked.
I paused thinking, "you put your, finger, in it."
He chuckled and I realized it was the wrong answer.
"Try the third draw down beside the sink. A thermometer, use that."
I smiled my fakeist smile.
"Please Jenson. Just something. Is she nervous?"
He stifled a smile, "extremely."
What I would give to see that?
"She wanted me to tell you that she has a surprise for you."
"What surprise?" I asked.
"I can't say, it's a surprise."
I groaned as I realized what she was doing. Something worse than an inch, someone saying I have a surprise for you and not telling you.
I groaned giving in, "I have to see her."
I went to take a step but Jenson stopped me.
"Don't you even think about it? You know the rules. You're not allowed to see Rose till tonight. Do you want to upset her?"
I groaned, "Fine."
I turned and headed to the door.
"Where are you going?" He asked.
I turned, "the piano room, maze well take my mind off it."

Rose
"Rose, stop moving," Kate ordered as she curled my hair. Zoey had gone for a shower as Jane sat on the bed with her hair straightener in the PowerPoint. My eyes darted around the room every time I got the chance. Jenson had said that this was Adelaide's room which made me nervous. I was in a dead twelve-year-old's room.
"I'm sorry, I'm nervous," I admitted.
"Do you want me to burn you?" She threatened, "I knew Zoey should have done your hair."
I went quiet at the mention of Zoey. We hadn't spoken since London. She had been avoiding the subject with the girls and barely looked me in the eyes.
I shook my head. Can't get caught up in it. Have to have a good night.
"You're going to look great, Rose. Why are you worrying?" Jane asked.
I sighed, "I guess, this is my chance to show Patrick that I can be a part of that life."
"So what, he thinks that you can't be?" Jane asked.
"Well look at me, I'm a downtown American that doesn't know the differences between soup and...Bisque."
Both frowned.
I exhaled, "Ones thicker than the other."
They giggled as if I told a Joke. Out of the mirror I saw Zoey enter the room in a red silky rob. We all got matching ones in London. Mine was pink, hers was red, Jane's was a deep purple and Kate's was green. It was Jane's idea.
"Kate, shower's free," she said.
"Okay, can you finish this?" Kate asked handing her the curling iron. She took it and Kate quickly left the room.
Jane sighed, "How does my hair look?"
"It looks good Jane," Zoey said.
I silently turned my head to see Jane standing with her hair, straight and long.
"Told you you should have worn your hair out."
She smiled, "okay, I'm going to go get dressed."
I smiled as she left the room.
Silence creeped between Zoey and I, making me uneasy. I played with the lipgloss on the table giving me something to do.
Can't ignore this forever.
"How are you doing?" I asked.
She shrugged, "well, I was drugged and was dragged to an alleyway so a guy could rape me like I'm nothing but an object to stick his thing into. So pretty good."
I laughed under my breath.
"Yeah I hate that," I mumbled.
"What?" She asked.
I went quiet.
"Rose, has that happened to you?" She asked.
I nodded.
"Oh my God."
"I don't want to talk about it," I quickly said, "this night is supposed to be about moving forward."
She nodded, "sure, it's good to know that I'm not alone. I don't want Jane and Kate to know."
"Fair enough."
We began to talk about how Patrick must be feeling when we heard a knock.
"Rose, the guests are hear," I turned around to see Jenson in the door was. He was in a tux with a black bow tie.
"Oh my God Jenson, you look great," I praised.
He turned his head as if embarrassed. It reminded me of when Patrick's embarrassed.
"Well your hair's done. I will leave you two to it," Zoey said leaving the room. Jenson took a step forward, looking proudly at me.
"You look very beautiful, Rose. Your parents would be proud of you."
Before I could stop myself, I said quickly, "Are you proud of me?"
He smiled cupping my cheek, "of course. You have come so far."
I smile as tears formed in my eyes. I quickly wiped them away.
"No one's ever been proud of me before," I admitted.
"Well now you have two people proud of you. Both Patrick and I are very happy that you've come apart of our lives."
I quickly wiped another tear away feeling stupid.
"Come one, wipe those tears away," he said handing me a tissue. His hand brushed the top of my head comforting me.
"How's Patrick?" I asked.
He chuckled, "he's talking to Lord Ashley, an old business partner of Lord Gilbert. He's probably bored out of his mind."
I laughed, "I should probably get down there."
"Take your time, he might learn something," he said walking out of the room.
I turned to the person in the mirror.
Breathe Rose, just breath. Patrick will love you. The others will notice you. You can do this.