Chapter Six

Richard did not understand women of that much he was sure, but one woman in particular made him mad with wanting. She looks at him with those huge soulful eyes demanding that he hold her and when he obeys, she seems to respond. In fact he would say she responds quite vigorously. To be honest she gave him a run for his money, and as soon as things get interesting she goes cold. He just did not understand.

She looks to be an innocent and yet the way she touches him, kisses him, holds him tells an entire other story. He had to get to the bottom of this. He was glad to see his bath was not drawn when he returned from his ride and so he rang for it. Soon he would get to the truth he would make her own her feelings for him. The door opened but it was not Anna that he saw but Albert the house butler.

"Albert what are you doing here?"

"Lady Catherine, Sir, has given me orders to attend you."

"And where is my usual chambermaid?"

"Miss Anna is needed elsewhere I am told. Preparations for the party and other overnight guests."

"Damn her," Richard said. She must have asked to be removed from serving him because of what took place this afternoon. His stepmother had no right making that change without consulting him first and he had the mind to make that point quite clear. Anna was his.

Richard stormed from the room leaving Albert behind to wonder at his Master's behavior. Richard wished to waste no time in searching for his stepmother. He was Lord of the Manor now. He will have Anna back. It is time he started taking charge. Storming around the bend he collided right into the help. Knocking over a vase of flowers that came crashing to pieces on the hardwood floor.

"Bloody Hell!" he swore as he tried to stabilize the girl knowing the vase was a lost cause.

Juliana tried to speak but frankly could not. He had plowed into her so hard he took the breath from her lungs. Halting her from her task of lighting the hall lamps. 

It took Richard but a second to assess the situation. Obvious he hit the girl with some force but there seemed to be no physical damage done. "Are you all right?" he asked.

She was standing too close to him to get a fully accurate assessment of her. Not being able to speak, Juliana simply nodded her head in affirmation.

"Why do you not speak? Have I injured you in some way?" Richard asked concerned for the girl's well being.

Finally able to breathe Juliana answered him, "No, my Lord. I needed to catch my breath is all."

He pulled her out of the shadows and into the light. It was not just some unsuspecting maid he had nearly run down but Anna herself. Still having a firm hold of her he pinned her against the wall. "Good, now that I have you to myself, perhaps you can answer something for me?" his tone was a malicious one and Juliana felt quite threatened by it. She knew all too well Richard had a temper and she did not want to be on that side of him.

"If I have done anything to offend my Lord I am truly sorry. My behavior has been appalling and for that I am ashamed, but please do not be mad at me," Juliana pleaded.

She was a walking contradiction. Never had he known a more baffling, mind boggling woman than this. "If you wished not to offend me, then why did you ask to leave my service?" Richard asked barely holding his anger in check.

"I did not," Juliana replied. "Those were my orders. Your mother needs my services elsewhere."

"So, I have been informed. I am Master of this house and it is I who will make such decisions. You belong to me, and now that I am home I will be the judge of where your services are most needed. You are mine and in case there is any doubt, here is something to help you remember."