Chapter Twelve

Juliana had managed to get on famously with the Kane family. The boys were rambunctious. They reminded her so much of Richard when he was their age. Cyril, although at times a bit stuffy, found Juliana's knowledge of business laws and other such topics refreshing.

Annabelle confessed she did not have the mind to grasp such concepts. To which Cyril agreed but said it was one of the things that attracted her to him. She had such an eye for beauty and his days were spent dealing with things that were dark. She was a breath of fresh air whenever he came home to her.

Juliana demanded to pay some sort of rent to the Kane household, not wanting to take advantage of their kindness, but they would not hear it. The most she could get Cyril to concede to was allowing her to help Annabelle with the house. Their usual housekeeper's mother took sick and that left Annabelle to care for things on her own and with two boys the tender ages of seven and five Annabelle could use all the help she could get. Juliana had settled in quite nicely and was happy to feel a part of a family again.

"Juliana, this letter just came for you," Cyril said handing it to her and heading over to the table get some breakfast. Juliana could not imagine who would write her here. The only post that she received since she arrived weeks ago was from the family steward, Mr. Dooley. He forwarded her last week's wages from Bentley Manor to her. She had been surprised to see the postmark and handwriting was the same.

"Odd," Juliana thought as she opened the letter and read its contents. Her eyes widened and she felt her world crumble, "No! How can that be?" Juliana exclaimed. The letter slipped from her fingers and floated silently the to floor. Juliana's hands covered her face at this moment she just wished she would die.

Immediately alarmed Cyril came running to her side. "Juliana, what is it? What's wrong?" When Juliana could give no answer Cyril did the only thing he knew to do when faced with something he could not understand and called for his wife.

"Cyril? What is it?" Annabelle asked darting into the room not caring one lick for her husband's tone. "Juliana" he said as he pointed to where she sat in the chair. Annabelle knelt before her and slowly lowered Juliana's hands, silent tears carved their path down her cheeks, spilling over from her eyes.

"Juliana? Honey?" she asked in the same tone Juliana heard her use with her sons when they were upset by something, "What is it? Tell me. What has happened?"

Juliana looked down at her friend, but found it hard to speak. "My father..." was all she managed to force past her lips and she could speak no more. She instead pointed to the letter for Annabelle to read.

Annabelle picked up the letter that lay discarded on the floor. As she read the letter she too had a similar reaction to the news contained within. A trembling hand came to her lips and she looked sorrowfully at her friend. "Oh, Juliana," was all she could manage her heart breaking for the woman before her.

"Will someone please tell me what this is all about?" Cyril asked more cross then he intended. Upon seeing both women's reactions however he was not entirely sure he wanted to know.

Taking a few deep breaths. Annabelle tried to explain. "It is a letter from Father's steward. Contained within is a very large promissory note," she said holding it up for Cyril to see. It was a small fortune.

"The letter states that Juliana's father had turned over those funds to secure a betrothal of marriage to my brother Richard. Upon my father's death he had made it clear that should Richard marry someone other than Juliana that all funds were to be relinquished to her in her name to do with what she wished. No one else knew of the arrangement except my father and Mr. Dooley. My Father had wished it that way because he did not want my mother to have access to the funds. He also wished if Richard were to marry, he marry for love and not love of money. So it was kept secret from everyone even Juliana."