Chapter Thirty-Nine

Juliana was in her room unpacking her trunk filled with her new belongings. Her bedroom adjoined Richard's by an interlocking door. It was harder than she thought to be back at Bentley Manor.

It was her home but it was the people she shared it with that made it so. Only a few of the servants lived in quarters in the Manor, others came from the local village. Those that were in house bonded like a close-knit family. She and Albert were one of them.

Juliana understood his reaction to her. In truth, she should have known better than to act in such a way. It was not permitted as a servant. Her actions would most certainly be frowned upon as his mistress, but Albert was more than just a confidant. He  was someone she had worked with, who looked out for her, treated her like a daughter. Juliana never forgot he was the one who has saved her life the night of the fire.

Albert and Lord Charles Bentley refused to give up on her. They searched all through the night until they found her broken body. She should have died that day but somehow managed to rise from the ashes.

Albert took to looking after her. Having lost her family, having to become a servant took time to adjust, to become whole again. Albert filled a huge void, as did the first Lord Bentley, in her heart. Without them, she would have given up long ago on the ideas of happiness and family.

There was a gentle knock on the door and Juliana bid whomever it was to enter.

A young woman came into the room.

Lily looked upon Juliana horrified as she watched her Mistress unpacking her things.

"I am so sorry, Miss. I should have come sooner. There have been so many preparations needed to be attended to for your arrival."

"It is fine, Lily. I do not mind unpacking my own things, but I could use some help."

Lily rushed to Juliana's side to take over unpacking while Juliana put her belongings away. She kept an eye on her mistress and the third time Juliana caught her staring she had to ask.

"Something on your mind?"

"No, Miss," Lily looked down embarrassed at being caught.

Juliana crossed the room and stood before her. "I give you permission to speak your mind, Lily."

Shyly Lily looked up at her. "I was just surprised, Miss that you remembered my name."

Juliana smiled warmly at the girl. "Lady Catherine hired you to replace me. You brought me the news I was to see her. It was a rather important day as the news received meant I was leaving here never to return."

"But here you are, Miss."

"Yes Lily, here I am. I seem to have a habit of popping up in places where I am not expected," Juliana laughed realizing just how true a statement that was.

Lily just looked away confused.

Juliana looked at her again and an idea sprung to mind. "Lily, would you mind being my personal Chambermaid?"

"I will serve wherever you wish me too, Miss," Lily said but Juliana could tell she liked the idea. It was also meant a raise in her salary which the others may be jealous over as she is so new.

"I will take the matter up with Mr. Dolson?" Juliana said not wanting to disrupt Albert's way of doing things if she was needed elsewhere. However, Juliana thought it would be a relief to have Lily as she needed someone to help her get ready each morning and night and Lily, having not served with her would be a far more comfortable choice.

Lily could not stop smiling. Juliana knew if she was able to use Lily for her maid she has now made a friend for life. The two went back to their task of unpacking her belongings. Juliana caught Lily running her fingertips lovingly over the fabric of each dress, that she hung in the wardrobe. Juliana decided something else.