Chapter Fifty

"I cannot take the wait anymore," Benjamin said, clicking his pocket watch shut.

"Lily promised she would be back within the hour," Juliana tried to reassure him, but she also felt anxious, waiting was not a strong suit of hers either.

"If you rush off now, and Lily does return with the news you would be wasting valuable time fumbling about. Just stay put. If Lily does not return within the hour, we will go and search ourselves," Richard told him.

Benjamin took Juliana by the shoulders, "Are you certain we can trust her? How do we know that she is not, right this second, notifying the house of our whereabouts?"

Juliana did not have an answer for this and just looked at Richard, and back at Benjamin. "We have no other recourse. We must wait and see."

A rider came upon them suddenly. Richard and Benjamin both drew their pistols upon hearing the pounding of approaching hooves.

"Lily!" Juliana exclaimed seeing the young girl.

"I had taken a horse from the stables. You must come quickly! There is no time to lose!"

Benjamin jumped into his saddle. "You have found her?"

"Yes, sir. She is being held in the conservatory. There is a secret entrance in and out of the building. I will show you where."

Richard gave Juliana a boost into her saddle. "Has something happened Lily? Why the urgency?"

"I tried to untie her but her captors were coming back and arguing in the hall."

"You had seen her and you left her there?" Benjamin asked in disbelief.

"It was a must!" Lily said looking stricken, remembering Clara's plea. "If I did not, I would have been caught as well and there would be no possibility of informing you of her whereabouts."

"You have done the right thing, Lily," Richard told her. "Once you show us the entrance, I wish you to return to the Manor. You have done more than is expected and I want you out of danger."

Lily nodded she understood. They were at the conservatory in minutes. Such a little used part of the house, no one was around. Most of the household servants deliberately stayed away, knowing it served another purpose, even if they were unsure as to what that purpose may be.

They dismounted and circled around with Lily to the secret entrance hidden from view with brush and bushes. "There is a similar entrance on the other side of the building. Giving a way in and out."

"Which entrance would give us the best element of surprise?" Benjamin asked.

Lily was uncertain.

Richard has a suggestion, "I think it best we split up. Juliana and I will take the other entrance, you take this one, that will allow for us to seal off both exits if Clara is not alone and if she is, it will give us the advantage should anyone try to sneak up on us. "

"A sound plan," Benjamin agreed. "I will wait for your lead. You enter first and I will be right behind you."

Juliana hugged Lily. "If all goes well we will be home soon. Get yourself there as quickly as possible."

Lily got to her horse and rode off.

They looked and Benjamin already began to descend the stairs. Juliana and Richard raced to the other side.

Once inside Benjamin followed the corridor down to the only room in the building. It was a very direct route. He hoped this was all for real. That he was not walking into a trap that Lily and Mr. Chase had set up for them. He wanted to trust her but his dealings have taught him not to trust anyone. It is the best way to ensure you stay alive.