Chapter Twenty-Five

She knew it was Richard. She knew he came for her but the state of mind Marcus was in she was not sure if he was too late.

"It would seem we have run out of time," Marcus said to Juliana his eyes filled with such sadness and pain.

"No," Juliana said, "there is always a choice, a second chance." She touched his face gently and wiped away his tears. Marcus pressed his face into her palm.

"It is too late for me. Is that not correct, Lord Bentley?" Marcus knew Richard was here to kill him and truly he wanted to die, or so he thought until she showed him kindness.

Richard felt very confused by all of this. He wanted to pull the trigger. He wanted him dead for laying just a finger on Juliana but he had one shot and he would not expend it until he knew for certain his mark would be true.

"Marcus please," Juliana begged.

Marcus could not believe after all he has done, after all, he thought to do, she was begging him to live, to give himself up. The servants were right. He did not deserve her. She was far beyond him, but perhaps if she could care for him he was worth saving. He slowly raised his body up and Richard kept his gun trained on him.

"I am so sorry, Anna."

Richard caught the glint of a dagger that seemed to materialize out of nowhere. A shot rang out. Juliana screamed and Richard watched horrified as Juliana threw herself in harm's way. He screamed her name as Marcus and Juliana tumbled from the bed to the floor. She now lay on top of him on the other side and Richard for the briefest moment lost sight of them.

He heard scrambling and Marcus got to his feet, pausing only a second before he ran out the door. Richard raced to the other side of the bed. "Richard?" Juliana called to him and he was by her side within seconds.

She lives he did not shoot her, he missed. Relief flooded his body as he took her arm and helped her to her feet. He needed to pursue Marcus before he got too far but the moment his hand left her she crumpled to the ground.

That is when he had seen the dagger buried within her. "Richard?" She pulled it from her body and the blood began to flow.

"Oh God! No!" Richard said as he gathered her in her arms.

"Richard I ..."

"Shh!" Richard began working at a fast and furious pace. He pulled the sheet from the bed and used the dagger to tear it into pieces. Juliana's eyes fluttered slightly.

"Stay with me Juliana," Richard commanded taking the pieces and stuffing them into the wound to staunch the bleeding. He then wound several longer pieces around her delicate waist to apply pressure. He was reminded of the numerous times he had dressed many a mate at that fateful battle. They had lost so many.

"Richard, I'm so sorry." She shivered, feeling suddenly cold.

Richard pulled the blanket from the bed and wrapped it around her. Gathering her up in his arms like a small child.

Annabelle had run into the room. "Juliana! Juliana!" She was stunned into silence at the blood she saw among the sheets and there was Richard holding on to Juliana rocking her in his arms. Tears running down his face.

"Cyril!" Annabelle cried running from the room to find her husband. "Juliana has been hurt! Quick get Doctor Feller here as fast as you can!"

"Richard, I did not mean for .... I do not want to lose you," Juliana said as panic gripped her heart. She struggled desperately to stay with him.

"Shh! Do not talk nonsense to me," Richard said, "you are not going to lose me."

"No, but you may lose me," Juliana said as she fought to keep her eyes open.