Chapter Forty-Five

Albert felt ill at ease every time a servant of the household approached, each having the same message to deliver. Clara it would seem was not in the house, the conservatory, the gardens, or the chapel. She vanished and no one in the household had seen her, nor could they find her.

Obligated to fulfill her duty Juliana found herself on the dance floor once more but the stress of the moment caused her to make more errors than usual. She watched each nod of the head as the servants approached Albert. None had found her. None had seen her. Where did Clara disappear?

She stumbled and was caught by an older gentleman. "Lady Bentley, are you all right?"

"Yes, thank you, Mr. ... I am sorry I do not believe we have been introduced," Juliana said. He certainly looked familiar but as this was the same list of guests that Catherine had used for Richard's homecoming that would be expected.

He offered his hand just as the quadrille started. "Mr. Chase, Lady Bentley, it is a pleasure."

Juliana failed to produce the proper response, her mind blanks upon hearing that name. Did she offer condolences for his daughter? Would she be expected to have such knowledge? Most likely not as she had not known who he was a moment ago.

"The pleasure is mine, sir. You are my hero of the hour, saving me from total disgrace."

"I am a bit left-footed when it comes to these dances as well. I was sad to hear your mother-in-law had taken ill. Such a beautiful event to miss."

Again, Juliana scrambled to think of what to say. "We are concerned as well, Mr. Chase. I know Richard is especially, he would not wish anyone in the family to come to harm."

"Something we have in common, Richard and I. There is nothing we would not do for our families."

"A noble way of being, Mr. Chase, for there is nothing greater or more important, I believe."

"Excuse me, Mistress," Albert said, "Lord Bentley requires your presence."

"Of course," Juliana nodded, grateful to be spared the necessity of further conversation and dancing. "Mr. Chase, if you will excuse me?"

"Certainly," Mr. Chase said leaving the dance floor.

Albert led Juliana away from gossiping ears and eyes.

"What have you learned?" Juliana asked Albert anxious even though she knew the answer.

"Mistress Clara is nowhere on the premises. We have searched high and low the house, gardens, conservatory and chapel. There is no sign of her," Albert informed her.

"Have we heard back from the stables? Are there any horses missing?" Juliana asked.

"Not yet, but I expect to hear back from them shortly, Mistress."

"We must tell Richard. Where is he?"

"His study, but you can not leave the ballroom, Mistress both guests of honor disappearing would bring too much attention to the situation. It would be considered highly irregular," Albert instructed her.

Juliana did not like all these rules that kept her from doing what she felt was right.

"Fine then, consider yourself instructed to go to directly to Richard. Tell him his wife is eager to get her honeymoon started. I will be waiting in the ballroom for his return."

Albert watched Juliana walk away with newfound respect as to how well she fit in her new position as Lady of the house. She gave him the perfect solution for a way she and Richard could sneak away with no one the wiser. The party could continue, and they could leave under the guise of honeymooning, in fact, it would be expected.

Albert approached the footmen outside of the study door.

"Anything?"

"No, all quiet."

"Go down to the Ballroom and keep an eye on our Mistress. There is trouble afoot. Do not let her out of your sight."

The man rushed off to comply.

Albert took a deep breath and knocked on the study door.

"Enter."

"Pardon, sir but I come with a message from your bride, it would appear she is eager for her honeymoon," Albert told him.

Richard became immediately alarmed. "What is it? What's happened, Albert?"

Albert's eyes darted quickly to the man standing a few inches away from Richard and back again. It did not go unnoticed by either man.

"He is family, Albert whatever you need to say, can be said."

"Mistress Clara is missing. Lady Bentley is eager to be with you so that you might together rectify the situation, sir," Albert told him.

"You said Clara was safe!" Benjamin made for the door but Richard held him in check.

"You have explained your side to me, Benjamin but there is more you need to know about the on goings of this family in order to be prepared for whatever lies ahead."

"Let go of my arm, sir," Benjamin said in a dangerous calm. "I know all I need to know. My Clara is in trouble and I have to help her."

Another knock on the door brought a stableman to Albert. "All is accounted for, no horses are missing."

"So we know it is not a guest or that she had gone and run off on her own," Richard said more perplexed than ever.

He looked at Benjamin and said, "There is a ruin not far from here, the old Wadsworth estate. Juliana and I will meet you there. Together, I swear it to you, we will find Clara."

"Forgive me for saying so but your word means very little thus far. I will find her myself if I have to flip this entire province upside down," Benjamin said gripping his arm from Richard's grasp.

"And how you are going to achieve that with no information on where she may be?"

"Every village has eyes and ears, Bentley. You just need to know where to look."

With that, Benjamin strode away from them and out the door.

Richard felt things were getting out of hand fast. He needed Juliana.

"Albert, let us go collect my wife," Lord Bentley said and as they made their way down the hall, a shadowed figure emerged from Lady Catherine's chambers.

"You there?" Richard hollered out and that figure turned tail and ran. Richard and Albert immediately pursued. So busy looking back at the two men who were quick on the trail, the individual in question failed to realize there was another man standing in front of them. The servant seeing Albert and Lord Bentley chasing down this person realized the order not to engage had been lifted and so engaged.

The figure took a tumble trying to avoid capture and nearly flew down the stairs however, Richard reached out just in time and grabbed their hand saving them from the fatal fall.

"Lily?" Albert said coming up behind Richard. Richard being in far better shape and much younger reached the girl far quicker. "What is the meaning of this? Why were you coming out of Lady Catherine's room?"

Lily looked from one man's face to another and then fainted dead away in Richard's arms.