Chapter 27: The Announcement

Nick slept on top of the covers next to me that night, just as he did for the past three weeks, up till now. He would sneak in once everyone was asleep and I would wait up for him, if I wasn't too tired. Some nights, we would talk or play games before falling asleep, but lately I've been pretty exhausted, so we just fall asleep holding onto each other. As each day passes, I grow less and less concerned about my masked man's whereabouts. Some days are better than others. Nick and I don't talk about him, if we can help it. Nick doesn't even refer to the baby as 'his baby' anymore. Now, it's just 'my baby'.

"You know you're going to have to tell everyone eventually, right?" Nick states as he places his hands on my belly so he can feel the baby kick. I lean back against his chest, letting him support my ever-increasing weight. I sigh. We've been talking about this for the past week, but I can't seem to get the nerve up to actually tell anyone. "What are you waiting for? Aren't you having a meeting with your fiancée and his parents today? You could formally announce it then."

"I guess," I sigh.

"I know you don't want to, but it will make them happy and they might delay the wedding, so you won't be showing when you get married. That'll give us more time to find a way out. Plus, it'll keep Damien happy and away from you. He won't rape or beat the woman who's giving him a child."

"You make it sound so easy, but I feel so weird. It's hard to lie, for me, and especially when I'm fooling everyone. Plus, if I tell them, then I have to tell my friends. They'll know it's not Damien's."

"Yes. You won't have to hold onto the secret any longer. You'll have more people to lean on, other than just me."

"Okay. Fine, I'll tell everyone. I have the meeting in an hour and we'll order pizza for dinner with all my friends. You tell them, after you help me pick out a shirt that properly shows off my baby pouch. I'll wear a sweater over it to conceal it, until I tell them," I give in. He smiles and we head to the closet. We finally settle on a tight t-shirt, with a sweater jacket over it. I have to try on a couple different pairs of jeans before I find ones that fit well enough.

"You need to get maternity clothes, love," Nick remarks. I stick my tongue out at him.

"Are you calling me fat, Mr.?" I tease. He pulls my shirt up pretending to measure my expanding waist line. His eyes bug out, and I hit him gently over the head. He begins to chase me and I waddle around as quickly as I can.

"Excuse me, Miss," a servant girl interrupts. We stop, feeling as if we've been caught. He quickly heads out the door, and I follow the servant to the private meeting room.

"Enter," King Ayson orders after we've knocked several times. The servant bows out and I take a few steps into the room before I first bow to the King, Damien, and then finally the Queen.

"It's so good to see you, Detini," Queen Lythia greets. She seems to appraise me, but with my sweater on, she can't see anything. "It's been so long since we last got to talk."

"It's a pleasure seeing you too, ma'am," I answer politely, sitting next to Damien, who scoots rudely away from me.

"Let's get down to business," King Ayson interrupts. "We would like to set the date for your wedding, if at all possible. I was thinking the third week of next month. That gives us six weeks to get ready."

"That sounds wonderful!" Lythia cheerfully exclaims. I discreetly wipe my sweaty palms on my pants, getting up the nerve to tell them. "Isn't that lovely, Detini?"

"Actually, I was hoping we could wait until after the baby is born. I would prefer the later date, so I can fit into the dress we picked out," I announce, shrugging off my sweater jacket. Queen Lythia's eyes almost pop out of her head! Damien looks completely shocked and King Ayson just looks sour.

"My dear! You look so wonderful! I remember when I was pregnant..."

"Shut up!" King Ayson yells, slapping his wife. I know where Damien gets it now. I feel my breath catch as he comes towards me. "Why have you kept it from us so long?"

"I wanted to get through the first trimester, in case of a miscarriage. I'm just a couple days short of that, so I'm pretty safe, sir," I answer easily. He stares me down and I feel as if he knows this child isn't Damien's.

"Well congrats then," he says not even trying to sound like he's actually meaning any of it.

"It better be a son," is the only nice thing Damien can muster as he walks out the door. Lythia sits completely still and silent, as if with the slap the King had turned her into a statue.

"We'll wait on the wedding," King Ayson calls after me as I leave. I keep my smile inside, until my sweater is back on and I'm out in the hall.

"How did it go?" Nick asks, as he enters with the pizza. I just woke up from an afternoon nap. This baby makes me exhausted.

"Well, I got the wedding pushed back. King Ayson took my story and Lythia is super excited. Damien says 'it better be a boy'. And I learned where Damien gets his abusive ways."

"Well at least we have more time to work with now," Nick says looking at the bright side, like always. I give him a quick kiss. "What's that for?"

"For being the amazing, non-abusive guy you are! And because I love you Nicholas."

"I love you too, Detini."

We smile, but part quickly as my friends arrive. We all talk and eat pizza, then Nick dishes out ice cream for us. When we're done with our first bowls, he gives me a second one which I ask for.

"Watch out, you might gain some weight on us," Nick teases, playing his part flawlessly. Everyone looks at me for a response.

"Well, I'm eating for two, so you just leave me alone, Mr.!" I exclaim. Chazzy screams and jumps up and down. Darla joins her after it finally sinks in. Libby tackles me and Em just watches, her brows furrowed.

"Is something wrong, Em?" I ask when everything quiets down.

"It's the masked man's baby, right?" she questions in response. Everyone else falls silent.

"Yeah."

"Does he know?"

"No. I don't want to tell him in a letter."

"Does Damien think it's his?"

"I never told him it was, but yes, everyone thinks it's his."

"How far along are you?"

"About twelve weeks."

"Are you happy?"

I look at Nick and smile. He smiles back. "Yes, I'm happy."

"Then, nothing's wrong. I'm happy for you too."

"We all are!" Chazzy shouts hugging me. The girls immediately start talking about names, presents, and baby showers. Nick and I just look on. I feel better now that my friends know the truth. My baby seems to settle down, too. It doesn't keep me up all night with its movement, which Nick appreciates, since I wake him up every time I move around. Everything is just fine.