Chapter 31: Support for a Queen

Emerson left the next morning. He had to finish the trial. Apparently he wanted to make sure the girls were okay and the trial proceeded fairly. I didn't see him for a week. He was too busy with the trial. When he came back, I introduced him to Samyra and Telon. They love him, but they also love Nick. Sammy says she wants them both to be her daddy. I wish it could be that simple.

"Detini, are you ready?" Em asks quietly. She's standing just inside of my room as I rush around trying to find the white cape I got as a present. I need it today! "You're gonna be late!" she reminds me, making me panic even more. Finally, I find it in the very back of my closet. I smooth out my dress and check my hair in the mirror. Em grabs my hand and pulls me along behind her.

"Em slow down! I can't walk this fast!" I demand as I'm trying to keep up with her, but to no avail. She slows down a bit, but I feel as if I have to run to keep up with her and my baby is in full swing, as it kicks me repeatedly. "Em, please!" I beg. She slows down a little more, but we're pretty much to the door, so there's no point anymore.

Sammy and Telo run up to me, both dressed in their nicest clothes. Sammy's hair is so cute in its curled state, with a headband to keep it out of her face. "You guys look adorable!" I cry, giving them each a hug.

"Mamá, Nanny wouldn't let us have a Popsicle. She said we're too messy," Sammy complains. I smile. She had to miss her morning nap in order to get ready for the parade, so now she's grumpy.

"You'll get your Popsicle when we get back. You don't want to get your pretty dress all dirty, do you?" Sammy smoothes out her dress ceremoniously and grins at me as she shakes her head. I laugh, grabbing her hand and Telo's in preparation for the door opening. The gong sounds and the wooden door swings down, letting in the bright sunshine of the outside world. I blink a couple times. I had grown accustomed to the darkness of a palace without many windows.

"Mamá, I'm scared," Sammy whimpers. She starts to move behind me, becoming suddenly shy for the first time in her life. I look down at her and smile. We quickly start walking to the carriage they have prepared for me.

"Mis hijos, you must be brave. These people all love you. They want to see you smiling and waving. Can you wave to them and show them how much you love them?" I ask as I lift them into the carriage. I need the support of my people in order to win the crown. This parade will hopefully help me with that. At least that's the goal.

"Sí, mamá," the children say in unison. The baby kicks as well. I have a feeling it's going to have a mind of its own.

I watch as my friends jump into the carriage behind me. Jastina and Chazzy are already there. We smile at each other for a second before my carriage lurches to a start. The all-white horses clop down the cobblestone streets of the parade route, taking us throughout the capitol city. Every street is lined with people who appear in great throngs to greet me. My avid supporters carry large banners proclaiming their support or green ribbons on their shirts. There are only a handful of people, within the thousands of fans, that wear the black armband in support of Damien. I pretend not to notice them, giving them no attention. Damien will soon be behind bars and if everything goes according to plan, I'll be the new queen.

In the center of the city, we stop. I get out of the carriage first, and then turn around to help my children down, although there was a foot soldier ready to do it. I take care of my own children, no matter what position I hold. They cling tightly to my hands as we walk through the crowd towards the large park in the center. I feel claustrophobic as the people swarm around me, held back only by my knights. We all make it safely to the grand stage, where all the kings and queens have stood before me. I curtsy to the crowd and listen to the rustle as every person kneels down and bows to me.

"I welcome you to this grand parade. May your day be filled with happiness and fun," I begin. I pause as applause rings out through the crowd. I stand before a vast group of my loyal subjects. They all seem so unique and different. I feel my heart grow with love for each man, woman, and child in this nation. As I look out over their heads, I see him. My love appears in the center, smiling for me and making my heart soar. He nods and I know he supports me fully. I feel braver and more confident as I resume my short speech. "I know these past few weeks have been riddled with controversy and surprising discoveries. I understand and sympathize with your feelings of fear, anger, and sadness. I have felt all those emotions with you. Yet, this is not a time to get downhearted, for we must rise up and rejoice in what we have. Although we have lost one great leader, we have gained the friendship of our brothers and sisters in Spain. No longer will our sons and daughters, husbands and wives, fathers and mothers be called away to fight our own blood. We can safely call them allies and what great allies they will become!" I announce. The applause is tremendous. I am astounded at the people's support. I search for Emerson and find him with tear-filled eyes standing in the center of the crowd. I can only imagine how he must feel hearing all the love my people have for his.

"We are entering into a new era. The world is changing all around us and it's time for us to embrace the future! You need a leader who can take you there. I want to be that person. I'm asking for your support. Together we can build an empire that will exceed all expectations. Everyone will come to know our country as powerful and strong. We'll reach new heights and we'll never stop climbing. I look to you for help and guidance. We will be partners in our goals and strive to push each other. I want to know what you desire in your kingdom and I want to see it achieved. Are you with me?" The crowd leaps to their feet, cheering and chanting my name. I feel the beat of my heart keeping time with their clap and the love and support they give me rushes to me on the wind, building me up, taking me higher, and making me stronger than ever before. I curtsy to the crowd, paying them the respect they deserve as I step down from the podium, making my way back to the carriage with my children on either side of me.

The people love me. They're willing to follow me. All I have to do is get the Elder Council to accept me as well and I'll be on my way to being crowned Queen of Demons!