Chapter 32: At War or Peace

Three weeks have gone by since the parade. King Ayson has refused to talk to me since that day. I seem to be a plague. I don't mind, though. He's never been that friendly towards me and since I will soon be taking over his throne, I don't expect him to like me that much. It bothers me more that he won't let Lythia visit me alone. I guess he expects me to kidnap her or something. Whenever she comes, Ayson is with her or Arric and they have at least three bodyguards waiting outside the door. Of course, Emerson made me get some bodyguards as well, but mine stay hidden out of respect.

Jastina has returned to her post as my lady-in-waiting. She seems different, now. We joke together a little less and she worries over the little things a lot more often. I guess she's as shocked by the change of power as she is scared by it. A lot of the castle staff is nervous and fidgety around me now. They aren't sure what kind of tyrant I could become and some servants are scared their loyalty will be questioned. I try to reassure everyone as much as possible, but only time will show that I'm a worthy ruler.

Damien's trial was completed two weeks ago and Damien has been sentenced to life in prison. On the day they took him away, I stood there and watched as he shouted threats at me and all the girls who had testified against him. Some of them cried, others jeered; I stood silently watching. Afterwards, I invited all the women and their families for a tea party back at the castle. Most of them came and we shared our stories, finding safety in each other's words. We had all been hurt by Damien, and from that experience we've been forever bonded.

As for Emerson's and mine relationship, it was nice to finally get some time together. He's an amazing man. He loves with his whole heart and I know that he'll always keep me safe. When he promises never to leave me, I can believe it. He's always there for me. When the Council of Elders made me so mad I wanted to order them all to be killed, he listened to me rant until I couldn't talk anymore and then he let me cry on his shoulder until I couldn't cry any longer. After I was done with that, he helped me make a plan that eventually won over the Council of Elders and gave me the go ahead I needed to hold a vote in two weeks, so I can officially claim the throne. He's smart and kind. I love him.

"Detini!" Chazzy cries, flinging herself into my room. I look up from the book I had been reading to Telo and Sammy. The nanny quickly ushers the children out of the room, as if she already knew something was happening. I get up from my seat, as quickly as my swollen body would let me. Em, Libby, and Darla all follow her in, their faces grim. Jastina follows silent and stoic, closing the door behind her.

"What is it?" I ask nervously, searching their faces.

My friends all look between each other, debating who should give me the bad news. I feel my heart fluttering and I prepare myself for whatever comes, leaning against the couch so it can hold me up, if my legs can't. I'm anxious and nervous. Part of me wants them to just tell me and part of me wants them never to speak, so I don't have to know.

"The goblins sent a declaration of war out today," Jastina begins, obviously deciding to be the brave one of the bunch. "They want your head."

"Why me? I haven't done anything against them, have I?" I ask. This is completely unexpected. I never imagined it would be war. Why do they want my head? I'm not even crowned yet. My actions thus far have nothing to do with them. I place my hands protectively across my stomach. What does this mean for my baby?

"They had a treaty with King Ayson. If he kept peace with them, they would allow him to use their mines and banks for Demon purposes. With you taking his place, they have decided to wage war on us, before you hit them first. They've been building an army. This has been coming, they just chose to use you for the reason and King Ayson is doing nothing to stop it," Em continues. Darla has tears in her eyes as she looks at me.