Chapter 35: In the Enemy's Hands

The wind rustles through my hair, throwing the loose curls around my bare shoulders. The cool air brings the sweet scent of roses and lilacs to my nose. I feel the perfume wrap around me, blanketing me in comfort and beauty, as the sun falls upon my skin making it glow with profound enlightenment. Even the birds flit around me, singing jubilant choruses that lift my heavy spirits. A smile graces my face for the first time in the past month, ever since I declared war. Smiling, I rub my large belly and enjoy the soft nudge of my baby. It comforts me to know that this little life is still safe inside of me, where I can protect it from the world.

"Mamá, tú bailas!" Sammy calls out to me from her spot on our picnic blanket. Nodding I move slowly toward her as she jumps to her feet and runs to me. She grabs my hands with her tiny ones, holding my last two fingers with her sticky fingers; she spins with me in circles, laughing. In this moment, I feel like the world is right and my life is complete. There's not a thing outside these garden walls that could spoil the love and happiness bursting out of my very heart right now.

My son joins us. He makes the circle go faster and I am soon out of breath and dizzy. Sitting down, I pour us all some juice and we click our glasses together. The children suck noisily down their juice as I sip distractedly. My mind is far away, on a battlefield that I don't know and can't imagine. All I care about is that Emerson is still standing upright there, safe and sound. This thought brings me a small shot of pain coursing through my body, but I let the thought float away as the children once again jump to their feet, kicking the child-size soccer ball toward

the field a few yards away.

I watch them, laughing as Sammy totters after her brother who allows her to get within a few steps before rushing away. The simple play is so cute and childish. There are no complexities behind such a child's game. I enjoy the simple moment. Being with my children, who are safe and sound, is all I ask for.

"Your highness, pardon me," a voice interrupts the peace, breaking the beauty all around me and silencing the birds. The wind ceases to blow; my mind stops mid-beat.

"Emerson?" Is all I can choke out of my dry throat as I look up to see Carrie standing before me with a crying Jastina. They slowly shake their heads in silence. I feel like each second that passes is a lifetime flowing through my winders with nothing to stop the continuum.

"Then what is it? What happened?" I shout, demanding an answer impatiently. My children stop playing. Part of my brain registers the fact that they're calling out to me, but I can't react. I just stand there waiting for the bad news that I know is coming.

"We're losing," Jastina says, but that's all she can get out before beginning to sob uncontrollably. I see my children wrap their tiny arms around my body, but I can't feel it in my numbness.

"How bad?" I hear my voice ask, but I don't remember telling it to say anything. The war had been going so well. All the battles seemed to be going our way. How did it all go so wrong?

"General Toni is trapped. Emerson is still holding his fort, but they're under siege. They can't last much longer. The French have all but lost. Within a few days they'll have to surrender or die. The Germans are still standing strong, but it appears that they're more evenly matched than we anticipated. The Russians and Chinese are too far away to get within helping distance. It looks really bad," Carrie admits, still refusing to meet my eyes.

I look at Jastina. She pleads with me silently, knowing what I'm thinking. I nod as she shakes her head, breaking into hysterical sobs. I rise to the fullest height I can manage, shrugging off my children. I stand proud and tall, a single tear trails down my cheek. In the bravest voice I can manage, I order Carrie, "Round up my knights. It's time for Plan B. My people need me."

"No! Please don't do this Detini! No! Think about your children!" Jastina cries out, begging me to reconsider. Carrie looks at me unsure, but I nod to her and she hurries off to follow orders.

"Samyra, Telon, come here," I quietly say to my confused children. They rush to my arms. "Listen carefully. I've got to go away for awhile. Your mamá is a queen and I have to protect the people who depend on me. You guys won't understand it right now, but I need to do something. Jastina will take care of you while I'm gone. You have to behave yourselves. Listen to her and do whatever she asks you to. Telo take care of your little sister. I love both of you so much."

"Mamá where are you going?" Telo asks, holding tightly to me. I kiss his head, trying to be strong for him.

"I have to go away. That's all I can tell you right now. But no matter where I go, I'll have you guys in my heart. And I'll never completely leave you. I'll always be in your hearts and I'll be watching out for you."

"When will you be back?" He asks instead.

"I don't know. I'll be home soon, I hope. If I don't come back for a long time, don't forget about me or how much I love you two."

"Don't go!" Sammy cries out burying her face in my sleeve, almost toppling me over in my kneeling position. I finally release the tears I had been holding back, letting them fall on the innocent heads of my children. I try to memorize the way they fit into my arms, so that I'll have a memory to hold onto through all the suffering I'm sure to endure soon. I just hope this isn't the last time I hold my children in my arms.

The moment doesn't last long. All too soon, Carrie is back with my men. I get to my feet, discreetly wiping away the tears in my eyes, as I have to forcefully release my children's strangleholds on me and hand them over to Jastina with one last look. Then I turn on my heels stiffly and march out of the peaceful garden, prepared for the worst. I walk strongly into the hands of the enemy and give them my life in hopes of saving many others'.