Prequel #4

"You know, I never thought this could happen," Jaeyria remarked, staring at the executioner and Mathas. The sky was dark and gloomy, threatening rain.

The executioner was none other than Vaxon Asherex. Mathas, their teacher, held his head high and smiled at the crowd with a knowing look. Probably because Mathas, being the kind of guy he was, was well aware that many of his students had come to watch his death. He'd made it clear that they were to stay away should he ever be caught, but some of them just couldn't bring themselves to do so. Not even Eiridan, the kind-hearted boy who couldn't bear watching people suffer - the boy she'd come to love - could leave Mathas to die alone, unloved, in a crowd of those who despised him.

So they came to behold his last moments. 

Eiridan and Jaeyria were on the fringes of the crowd, watching with oppressed whispering.

"Neither did I," Eiridan mumbled, his eyes fixed on Mathas.

Vaxon's hard, chilly voice echoed out across the square where everyone was gathered in the frosty air. "People of Castre, you are gathered here to witness the execution of the final and most pernicious rebel leader, Mathas. He has been a thorn in the side of this great empire for many years now, and he will now be no more."

The crowd let out wild cheers. As Jaeyria and Eiridan watched, a few brave souls - none of them were Mathas's students - tried to surge onto the stage. This was quickly quelled by Vaxon's guards. Every one of the five protesters were dragged up onto the stage.

"Since you see fit to protest this measure of meting out justice, you will suffer the same demeaning fate as this proclaimed criminal," Vaxon's voice was just loud enough to be heard across the square and frothing sea of people.

The three men in the group spit on the ground at Vaxon's feet, their final display of defiance, and then turned, facing the bloodthirsty crowd with calm resolve. The women in the group trembled and closed their eyes, but then they too faced their deaths with quiet firmness. Jaeyria and Eiridan just watched in awe, their respect for the five rebels greatly strengthened. 

Eiridan cleared his throat. "You sure you want to see this?"

"No," Jaeyria bit her lip. "But I need to watch."

"It's a bad idea. You've seen enough loss..." he mumbled.

She sighed and turned away as the executions began. Despite the fact that his words held true for both of them, Eiridan would watch. It didn't mean she had to. "You're right." She didn't need Mathas's death seared into her nightmares too.

Eiridan welcomed her into his embrace without a word as soft crying and screams from the dying prisoner echoed over the stunned crowd. No one knew quite what to do about the fact that five protesters were now on stage without further ado, it seemed. They almost acted cowed by the display of power. No one spoke up or even cheered as the agonized pleas and cries of the prisoners' families and the two women went on.

The raucous shouts of approval, clapping, and stamping of feet heralded Mathas's turn at the execution block. Jaeyria felt bile rising in her throat. How can these people celebrate the death of another human being like this? 

As if to commemorate Mathas's end, lightning crackled across the sky and thunder rumbled. Their teacher's death seemed to draw each student present to use their magic. Wind howled mournfully and rain lashed down on everyone in the square.

Jaeyria felt free to use her power for the first time in years. Shadows streamed off her, dancing and gallivanting about on the wind. Eiridan's healing magic flowed over her in a healing wave as they watched the sword fall together. 

For all their power, they still couldn't save him.

The wind's wailing gradually died, and the storms subsided. Jaeyria withdrew again, letting her shadows dissipate. Only Eiridan's gentle magic continued to trickle out, wrapping her soul up like his arms embraced her. Turning, she wrapped her arms around his neck and buried her face in his neck.

The sky was dark and gloomy as it was before, giving no hint to the terrors just unleashed. It seemed a silent testimony to the way time could eventually sweep away all remembrance of a person. With that, she knew it was time to go. Time to hide just as Mathas had instructed them to do. Time to build a force strong enough to wipe out Vaxon once and for all.