Chapter Four - 'Finally.'

‘I’m sorry, Draco, I don’t have time to make any breakfast,’ Eva’s voice broke him out of his thoughts.

He looked up from where he was lying down in bed, clad only in his boxers with a duvet covering his body. Eva had just gotten out of the shower, taking longer than usual, and was now getting changed into her work clothes. Draco stretched his arms out, watching her get changed.

‘That’s alright. Are you coming home for lunch?’ Draco asked.

Eva turned to him, pulling on her button up shirt that she had ironed the  night before. She gave him an apologetic look that told him he would be having lunch alone... again. He sighed and turned to lie on his stomach, putting his face in his pillow. He seemed to be alone a lot these days since Eva didn’t come home until late. He felt her lips kiss his head before she ruffled his hair.

‘Don’t stay in bed all day. Eat breakfast, change the bed sheets, there’s some dirty clothes that need to be taken to the cleaners, we need to go shopping for food as well...’ Eva sighed. He heard her rummage about in their wardrobe. Draco glanced up and saw her take her coat and shoes before putting them on. She stood up and grabbed her bag, looking at him, ‘and don’t smoke.’

‘I’ll do all those things... except the last one,’ Draco said, pulling the sheets away from him. He sat up in bed, watching as she came over to him. After a brief look of disapproval, Eva leaned forwards and pressed her lips to his.

‘I have to go. I’ll see you tonight,’ Eva whispered, kissing him again before leaving.

Draco waited until he heard the door shut and lock behind her. He had all day on his own, without Eva, just like the day before and the day before that. Draco sighed loudly and only then did he get out of bed, stretching his back to hear the muscles crack. He stripped the bed right down to the mattress and waved his wand so that the new sheets replaced the old ones.

Draco took a quick shower, always thankful for the water since he had gone a whole two weeks without showering once while he was on the run. He shuddered every time the memory crept up on him. Once he was showered, he dressed in a button up shirt and some jeans, putting on a hoody over his shirt. Draco got his shoes, jacket, and wand before apparating to exactly where he wanted to go. The restaurant where Hermione... or someone who looked exactly like her, Draco furiously reminded himself, was at was open but not very busy. He peeked in and saw the same blonde behind the register.

Before going in there, he jogged across the street and went into the little shop in front of the restaurant.

‘It’s you! The crazy guy from last night!’ the cashier, the same one from before, looked up from his magazine as Draco walked in. Realising what he had called Draco, he held up his hands, ‘don’t mean to offend you, sir.’

‘That’s alright. That’s exactly what I was thinking last night,’ Draco muttered, his voice low and thoughtful. He looked at the cigarettes on offer, his cravings had begun already even before breakfast. He bought a packet of cigarettes, thanked the cashier and walked out of the shop.

He went across the street again, slipping the cigarettes and his change into one of his pockets. He needed to know, that was all, and then he would go on and let her live her life if she wanted nothing to do with him. He just needed to know.

‘Hello again,’ the blonde behind the counter glanced up at him, surprised to see him again. Draco had obviously made an impression on her if she remembered him from last time. Draco nodded at her, giving her half a smile, as he tried to peek through the chef’s window. The blonde smiled, ‘what would you like to eat? We have a special offer if you get beans with-’