Chapter Thirteen - 'Every single word.'

‘She’s really pretty, isn’t she?’

Hermione’s voice broke his gaze from the girl immediately as though it burned to look at her. The girl he had been staring at for a good five minutes, oblivious to Hermione’s eye rolls and sighs, was the only one sitting in the restaurant that night where Hermione worked.

The girl had masses of paper surrounding her and was scribbling away intently, probably finishing off some work for a boss, Draco thought. The flow of blonde hair hung off one shoulder and her heavily made up eyes stayed on the paper even when she picked up a fry and popped it into her mouth hungrily. She wore a pencil skirt and a white shirt with a button or two popped open from the top. Her blazer adorned the chair behind her and Draco noticed the nail polish on her fingers and the perfect make up, not too much but enough for it to be worth looking twice. Her hand closed around her drink and she sipped it, still looking at her work, when Hermione’s voice cut into Draco’s fantasy.

‘Jealous, Granger?’ Draco asked, smirking slightly and leaning towards his half-girlfriend – he really had no idea what to name their relationship – and brushed her hair behind her ear, smirking wider when Hermione looked defensive.

‘Jealous of a girl like that?’ Hermione asked, aggravatingly, counting out the money for the end of the day and expertly tying a rubber band around the cash before looking at the smirking blonde, ‘looks aren’t everything, Draco.’

‘It sure is the first noticeable feature, wouldn’t you say? You did fall for this face, didn’t you?’ Draco asked, running a hand over the slight stubble on his chin and cheeks.

‘Let me work in peace,’ Hermione rolled her eyes and looked at him, ‘I still have to go home and finish off my packing.’

‘Packing?’ Draco popped a grape into his mouth from the nearby plate and Hermione groaned slightly, moving the plate far away from him.

‘Yes, packing. We have a weekend on a boat and if you’re planning on wearing nothing all the way through the weekend, I suggest you go home and pack a few things to take with you,’ Hermione said, taking out the change box and carefully piling the cash into it.

‘I would wear nothing but I wouldn’t want girls swarming all over me. I’ve had enough of that,’ Draco winked at her. He reached across and got another grape, popping it into his mouth; he really loved teasing her and seeing the half annoyance, half amusement on her face.

‘Clearly. That girl hasn’t kept her eyes off of you,’ Hermione said, sarcasm dripping from every word as she looked over to the girl briefly and then put the change box away.

Draco looked at the girl again, reaching absent-mindedly for another one of the forbidden grapes. He popped the grape into his mouth and then licked it as he bit into it, tasting the juice. It was true that the girl hadn’t looked at him like girls usually did although it didn’t worry Draco. He had been kissing Hermione before the girl came in and ordered so it was obvious that it looked like Draco and Hermione were in a relationship. A girl would be stupid to try something on a guy who was already with someone.

‘I’ll pack for you,’ Hermione suggested.

‘Huh?’ Draco asked.

Hermione gave him a steely glare and then sighed, ‘if you stop imagining yourself with that girl, you’d know that I have, so very unselfishly, suggested to pack your clothes for you. Even though I have a lot of work to do, I’m willing to-‘

‘Remind me why I’m going on this boat ride with you?’ Draco asked, and then added, ‘I mean, I would have took my mother and it’d be no different.’