Chapter Seven - 'Draco's visit.'

Hermione felt the bubbles around her as she sat in the bathtub. She was finally relaxing after week upon week of shifts at the restaurant, taking care of Rose, making dinner for Draco and Eva a week ago, and having people constantly over to her apartment. She felt total bliss as she sat in the bath for a few hours without moving and listening to the radio that she had bought in with her.

When she was making breakfast for Michael and Rose this morning, Michael had told her that he was going to his brother’s house for the weekend. Apparently, they were going to take the car out to the countryside and go fishing. Hermione read the subtext and assumed he would get drunk with his brother and a couple of friends. She didn’t mind though. In fact, she was in a happy mood that Friday morning. Hermione actually hummed while she took Rose to school. She had that Friday and the whole weekend off so she could spend it with Rose.

Hermione stopped humming to the music and listened for Rose as she giggled to something she was watching on TV. What a good girl, Hermione thought and smiled. She had been in the tub for a whole hour and Rose hadn’t bothered her, she was totally content to sit in peace and watch TV or draw.

Hermione gently lifted herself out of the tub when it was nearing Rose’s bedtime, letting the water down the drain as she went over to the shower. She quickly shampooed her hair, massaging her scalp, and washed it out before repeating. Hermione conditioned her hair and then soaped her body, humming a familiar tune under her breath. When she was done with her shower, she climbed out and wrapped herself in a towel before coming out of the bathroom.

‘Rosie?’ Hermione called to her, padding down the hall and ignoring the water as it dripped onto the carpet.

‘Yes, Mummy?’ Rose asked, looking up with her big brown eyes as Hermione entered the living room.

‘I think it’s about time you went to bed, baby,’ Hermione chuckled, walking over to see the picture she drew. It was of Michael and his car which he had taken for a spin with Rose even when Hermione told him not to. 

‘But, Mummy,’ Rose looked at the TV and then turned to Hermione with her huge eyes, ‘five more minutes?’

‘Just five,’ Hermione chuckled and walked out of the living room, ‘I’m going to get changed and then I’ll put you to bed.’

Hermione walked into her room which was completely tidy expect for a couple of Michael’s clothes from last night that he hadn’t bothered to pick up. Blushing a little as she thought of the night before, she picked up the clothes and put them on the chair before going over to her cupboard. She bought out some matching black underwear and pulled it on.  Hermione knew Michael wouldn’t be back tonight so there was really no point in wearing a nightie so she wore a loose top and some shorts that Michael had bought her before coming out of her room and going into the kitchen to tidy up the dishes.

Her mind wandered to before she had moved to Australia, while she put dishes away. She had been that brave, nerdy girl that always set people straight and grimaced when girls came to class with even one or two buttons popped on their shirt. Now look at her, Hermione chuckled out loud. She was standing in a kitchen in shorts and a top that clearly showed her bra at the sides since it was so loose, putting dishes away while her daughter sat in the next room and while she waited for her boyfriend, Michael, to call her... Funny how things seemed to change so suddenly.

The door bell rang suddenly and Hermione frowned, glancing at the time. The fancy clock in her kitchen was ticking closer to half past eight. She came out of the kitchen as Rose shut the TV off and watched her mother walk to the door. Hermione unlocked and opened the door, thinking it may be one of her neighbours. Instead, her frown deepened when she saw Draco standing on her doorstep, actually leaning against her doorway. Hermione just stared at him as his grey eyes stole a glance down at her legs.