Chapter Five - 'Lasagne, boats, and wine.'

The night Draco had fled from that small apartment where Hermione Granger lived with her daughter was not a peaceful night. He apparated home, fumbling with the keys before letting himself into his apartment he shared with Eva.

Eva. She had just arrived home and worry crossed her face the second Draco bolted himself in the bathroom, not appearing until she finally gave up and went to sleep in the early hours of the morning. Draco didn’t sleep, he took comfort by standing by the window and smoking. It would kill him eventually, he knew that, but was the world going to change in any way if Draco Malfoy wasn’t in it? He didn’t think so. So he smoked until he had nothing else to smoke.

He fell asleep in the bathroom and woke up after noon in his bed. Eva had opened the door of the bathroom and managed to get him in bed by a wave of her wand. She left him a note saying she would be back late and that he should take care of himself. Draco found the note after he had taken a shower and got changed and grabbed an apple for breakfast. He crumpled it up and put it in the bin, grumbling under his breath.

A breeze flew in from the open window in their too small living room as Draco took a seat on the sofa, grabbing his guitar and putting it on his lap. He looked at the curtains floating up for a second as his hands absentmindedly struck some chords. He bit his lip, shaking out his hand, before he started to play a song he had made for Eva one night while they lived in France. He hummed under his breath as he struck the right chords, frowning when he struck the wrong ones.

‘Shit,’ Draco muttered, closing his eyes. He pictured Hermione’s face in his head; her hair, her lips, her eyes, her body. He started to play again, a different song, humming under his breath.

Draco sat for hours on the sofa, plucking chords and writing down on his sheet music. He whiled away the time like this until the clock started to tick closer to six pm and he knew Eva would be home in three or four hours. He had nothing else to do but wait... wait for Eva to come home so that they could eat and sleep. The usual.

Or you could go to Hermione’s apartment and explain to her why you fled as though it was a crime scene? You know where the apartment is, all it takes is two seconds to apparate. Doesn’t she get off work right about now?

Draco closed his eyes, putting his guitar next to the sofa. Of course, he could go right now and explain to her but would she accept him back into her life when he had left her just like that again? Who knows. Worth a try? Draco thought it must just be worth a try so he stood up. Draco went into the kitchen and scribbled a note for Eva. While he wrote the note, he knew perfectly well that a part of his mind had always been on Hermione, ever since he woke up he had planned on going to her apartment tonight.

Eva,

Don’t worry, I’m perfectly fine. I need to get some air and if I’m not back by the time you’re home, don’t wait up on me. Eat dinner without me.

D.M

He looked at the letter and sighed before sketching two figures sitting side by side with the Eiffel tower looming over them. She would like that, he hoped. He chuckled a little to himself before grabbing his wand, jacket, and putting on his shoes.

Draco disapparated.

---

*Hermione’s POV*

Hermione hugged her mother goodbye and thanked her for taking care of Rose while she had to work. She closed her front door and sighed, absolutely exhausted after a long day of work since she started earlier today. It wasn’t easy having to support not just herself but a child. That being said, she loved Rose more than she had ever loved anyone.