Chapter Eight - 'In the park.'

‘You kissed him?’ Lisa asked, looking slightly confused and a little amused.

Hermione shushed her with a glare and glanced at Rose who was immersed in her colouring in to listen to them. They were sat at a cafe that appealed to Lisa, Hermione’s co worker from the restaurant. Hermione sipped her coffee and sighed, nodding.

‘His lips were so close to mine and they were so pink and I... I leaned in and touched them with my lips. I pulled back straight away but he pulled me closer,’ Hermione bit her lip, looking at Lisa, ‘I cheated on Michael!’

‘How was it like? How did you feel?’ Lisa asked, leaning forwards slightly as though this was a juicy piece of gossip. She sipped her own coffee, thinking back to Draco when he came to the restaurant. He really did have perfect lips.

‘Oh, it was amazing. I felt so warm inside when he kissed me like that and his hand tangled in my wet hair. And I opened my mouth for him, just a little,’ Hermione stopped when she saw Lisa’s eyebrows raise. She covered her face with her hands, ‘Lisa, help me!’

‘Mummy,’ Rose looked up when Hermione covered her face with her hands. She gently reached over and tugged at Hermione’s jumper, a look of concern on her face ‘Mummy, don’t cry.’

Lisa chuckled a little and sipped her coffee before standing up. She ruffled Rose’s hair, ‘Mummy’s not crying, darling, it’s okay. Come on, let’s go for a walk to the park.’

Hermione managed a smile for Rose and also stood up. She helped Rose pack away her colouring book and pencils into her bag and then grabbed her coffee before taking her daughter’s hand. Rose, Hermione and Lisa left the cafe together and started to walk towards the park.

The good thing about where they stayed was the fact that the town was quite small and Hermione knew a few people by name and recognised some people when they walked by. The day outside was quite cool but there were hardly any clouds in the sky. Hermione smiled as they walked towards the huge park that had a children’s play area and also a cycling and jogging route.

‘So, what are you going to do about this Draco guy?’ Lisa asked, glancing at Hermione as she walked, ‘I mean, he’s seen you in those short shorts you wear and he’s kissed you. He probably wants a lot more than that.’

‘I love Michael,’ Hermione muttered, blocking out the rest of what Lisa had said, ‘and I made a mistake, that’s all. Nothing is going to happen with me and Draco.’

Lisa gave Hermione a look that told her that she would probably change her mind. They walked in the direction of the park and Rose ran off to claim a swing before any of the other kids could get to them. Hermione watched her run, struck with that odd feeling she got sometimes: the one that reminded her she was a mother now to a beautiful little girl. When she first found out, she was absolutely terrified but now? She smiled, breathing in some fresh air. Now, she felt good.

‘When I first met you, you were quite confident and brave,’ Lisa said after a while of silence. They sat down on one of the benches, Hermione crossed her legs and kept one eye on Rose as she swung higher and higher. Hermione glanced briefly at Lisa when she continued, ‘also, you never wore your hair down and you always kept to yourself. You’ve changed quite a bit but... I guess, you’re still confident and brave.’

‘Probably a good thing,’ Hermione muttered, looking down at her clothes that she would have never thought about getting for herself whilst still in Hogwarts. She wore a simple white top that hugged her figure but not too much; blue jeans that fit her just right; knee high brown boots; a white cardigan over her top; and clutched a brown bag that was fit with essentials and Rose’s colouring in things. She sighed, ‘I like the way I am now. I was very different before Rose was born.’