Prologue

Ian has always been a bit...different. We've been in the same class every year through Elementary school and junior high. Now, we're in high school. Things are different now. I have a couple classes with Ian, but I can't look after him when we're not together. Allow me to explain.

Ian has always had this...I wouldn't say problem, but rather...disability? Nobody knows why it happens or what triggers it. One minute, he's a perfectly normal guy. But then, his mind starts to wander. It has grown progressively worse over the years as well. Now, whenever it happens, he is a completely different person. I don't even know what to call it. I suppose we'll stick with disability.

Second grade and under, it was easy to believe that Ian just had ADHD or something like that. In third grade, he started to do things without the teacher's permission, like standing up to go to the bathroom in the middle of a lesson. Then, he would get yelled at when he returned and he would look so hurt, as if he hadn't even realized he had wandered out of the room. I would often overhear the teacher calling his mom to report whenever he messed up.

Ian was also popular in the school yard as the most bullied kid in school. I would stick up for him whenever I would see it. I got in trouble a lot for sending others off crying, and that often resulted in me being stuck inside for the next day's recess. I could do nothing but watch helplessly as Ian was approached by some of the older, meaner kids.

I remember this one day in middle school, Ian and I were sitting together at lunch, trying to ignore the many, many stares of the people around us. Ian's eyes just happened to flicker to the window as a monarch butterfly flew past. His eyes lit up. I knew if he stood, he would be in trouble, so I tapped his arm to try to bring his attention back to me but, sure enough, he was all for the butterfly now.

"Look!" he exclaimed excitedly, pointing at the butterfly. He looked at me expectantly. "Come see the butterfly with me."
"No," I responded. "We'll get in trouble if we leave the table."
"BUT I WANNA SEE THE BUTTERFLY!" he wailed. It wasn't the scream that startled me, but the change in his voice. It was very high pitch and cracking. Almost like mine, expect mine doesn't crack and it's much higher, which got me picked on a lot as well.
"Ian, what's wrong with your voice?"
"What's wrong with yours?!" he snapped in the same tone. That hurt my feelings, although i knew he couldn't help it. Long story short, I let him go see the butterfly and he got detention for leaving his seat.

His voice went back to normal when he was brought back to reality, but whenever his mind gets taken over by whatever it is that happens to him, that voice is there to go with it. I get worried about Ian. It's weird having only two classes with him and I'm scared he might say or do something that will get him into more trouble than he needs.