Chapter 10

I was still awake when Ian woke up from a nightmare at about 4:00. I soothed him gently, and when he came down from his panic, he looked at me. "I thought you weren't going to be home."

"Well, we were going to stay, but as I was starting to fall asleep, my mom had a falling out with my uncle. We had to leave before there was a fight. I got really upset over it, but I'm okay now."

"How is she?"

"My mom is alright, just very stressed."

"What was the argument about?"

"I'm not sure. All I know is there was a lot of yelling and I had to pull her outside. She was a wreck. It hurts to see her cry."

"And your grandmother?"

"Fine for the time being. I'm afraid we won't be able to visit as long as he's there." I felt his arm wrap around my waist, pulling me closer to him.

"I can't guarantee that everything will be alright, " he murmured gently, "but I can promise I will be here to help you through whatever happens. Now, try to get some sleep. You've had a long night."

--------------------

I woke up to the sun glaring through the window into my face and the sound of tapping as Ian typed on his computer. I groaned and stuffed my head into the pillow. "Go away!" I yelled at the sunlight.

"Hey there, sleeping beauty. Why should I leave?" came Ian's amused tone.

"Not you, the sun! What time is it?"

"Only 1:00. You have time to sleep." I groaned again. I heard him approach me and sit next to me. "Are you alright?" His voice was more serious now.

"I'm fine. Just move the sun, please." He laughed and went to the window to close the curtains. "Thank you."

He came back over to me and worked his fingers through my hair. It was very relaxing after the night I'd had. I looked over to him. I hadn't expected him to be so close, and jumped when I saw his eyes inches from mine. He snickered. Even after he stopped laughing at me, he had the most adorable dorky smile on his face, and I found myself smiling too. Our lips met, but only briefly. I was still too tired to argue though, and he knew that. I could tell by the mischievous look on his face.

"Don't tease me, dude," I warned.

"What are you gonna do, tell my mom?" He stuck his tongue out.

"What are you? Five?" I flashed him a grin, then sat up and stretched.

He pouted. "Maybe." Then he crossed his arms and turned toward the door. I stood up and put my arms around him. He must've been expecting it, because he turned around in my arms and threw his around my neck. His vibrant blue eyes glinted happily. "I love you, Ben. You're the best thing in my life." He didn't give me a chance to respond before he leaned in again, and the world dissolved around me as I relaxed into the kiss. It was moments like these that I treasured the most, moments of pure bliss, moments when everything disappeared and it was just the two of us. I would never know what to do if I lost him. He is a beautiful being, one that is mine to keep, and I intend to keep him for a very long time.