Chapter 29

I counted down the days to the wedding, anticipation as well as nerves growing. Ben seemed to growing more and more excited. It's not that I wasn't excited too, I just had nerves eating away at me. Today was no exception. There were only a few weeks left, and I had been sick for a week; clammy, gross coughing fits, chest pains which I assumed went hand and hand with the coughing, horrible fevers, the whole nine yards. Ben was worried, but I assured him everything was fine and I'd come down from it soon enough.

Ben felt my forehead, then sighed in frustration. "Ian, you need to see a doctor. Who the heck has a fever for this long and doesn't go to see a doctor?"

"I'm fine," I said stubbornly, pushing his hand away.

"Right," he replied with heavy sarcasm. "Well, I'll be in the other room, setting up an appointment for you." He stood up to leave the room. I stood up to protest, but was immediately cut off by a coughing fit. "Nope, you don't need a doctor at all." He walked out of the room, taking out his phone as he went. I sat down in defeat. He had been trying to get me to see a doctor since the fevers started, but I really didn't want to. I was only a little sick. I laid my head in my arms, unable to hold it up without getting a dizzying headache. When Ben came back into the kitchen, he said, "Let's go. He can see you now if we get there in the next hour."

I sighed. "I don't need to see the damn doctor!" He didn't respond, just got me to my feet and out the door.

~~~~~~~~

I drove while Ian whined like a stubborn toddler. "I'm fine," "I don't need to see a doctor," "it's not that bad!" Well, it was very worrying for me. I've never known a whole week of fevers to be a good thing. Eventually, he laid back in resignation, allowed me to finally think about what I was doing. Driving is difficult if you can't think about it.

"Ian, why don't you want to see the doctor?"

"Because I don't." He stated simply. He was silent for a while, then started coughing again. We had just about reached the doctors office. "That freaking hurt," he complained when he was done, rubbing his chest. I parked the car and took my keys from the ignition, sat there for a few minutes, tired. I probably shouldn't have even been driving with as much sleep as I'd been missing out on.

"Come on Ian. Once the appointment is over you can have a sticker and a lollipop, since you want to be a baby." He grimaced at me and I grinned innocently. Then we got out of the car.

--------------------

"I don't need a doctor. I'm perfectly fine. I know he'll say nothing's wrong." I muttered.

"How was I supposed to know I'd have pneumonia?" he snapped.

"You go to the doctor when I tell you to!" I shot back. He didn't respond. The air was tense, but it slowly eased off. I was distracted for a minute and almost missed the red light. I slammed on the break and instinctively threw my arm across Ian, thankful nobody wants behind or in front of me. That could've ended badly. "Sorry about that."

"It's alright. You really need to get some sleep. I'm sorry for being so stubborn." I nodded, wanting to keep my attention on the road.

When we got home, Ian went inside while I stayed in the car. Pneumonia? Seriously? Ian's constant whining almost made me turn around and go home. Now I'm glad I didn't. I'm sure he'll be alright soon, but he doctor wants me to bring him to the hospital if he gets any worse. This is just awful. I've been missing out on work and sleep, and my time is up. I have to go back to work tomorrow. But I need to keep an eye on Ian. God dammit.

After a while of sitting in the car with thoughts swimming randomly around my head like fish, I finally went inside and laid on the couch, where I'd been sleeping since Ian got sick. I didn't want to catch whatever he had because I knew I'd have to go back to work at some point. With silence all around, I fell asleep in minutes.

~~~~~~~~

I missed Ben's company at night, when he would slip into bed a little while after me and pull me close to him. I understood why he didn't want to be next to me, though. He needed to stay healthy and we were not sure if I was contagious at the beginning. I felt bad for him. This isn't fair. He shouldn't have to take care of me because I'm sick. I suppose it could be worse though.

I sighed and rolled over as i heard the front door close. Ben walked by the bedroom door without even looking in. He needed to sleep. So did I, but he'd been awake practically all week with only few hour naps to get him by, worried out of his mind. At first there was no reason for it, he was just a worrier. Now he had a reason. Another coughing fit took hold. When it was over, I stuffed my face into my pillow, feeling worse with horrible chest pains and a sore throat. I'll be better soon, I promised myself. Then I'll find a way to make it up to Ben.