Chapter 14

Ambrew turned around. It was fourth period and my history teacher was lecturing some kid about whatever. My mind was too busy to focus.

"Ben," he whispered. "Did you find Ian?"

I nodded and sighed. "He was unconscious in the woods, probably knocked out by Adam, but he said he didn't remember anything after leaving the school. He...he wants me to talk to Adam, find out what's happening at home. He has an aching suspicion that he has a reason for being the way he is."

Ambrew nodded thoughtfully. "How is Ian?"

"He has two broken ribs, three fractures in his arm, a sprained ankle, his eye is swollen shut and he's bruised like a banana."

His eyes widened. "That bad?!" I nodded sadly.

--------------------

I saw Adam talking to Gertrude at lunch, the girl he had left with the other day. I waited for her to walk away, then sighed and walked up to him. "What the hell do you want, squeaky toy?"

I bit back a retort. "I just want to talk to you. Well, I don't, but Ian wants me to."

"Why doesn't he just come talk to me himself, huh? Is he too scared?"

"He's at home all banged up. He can barely move. And I take it that's your fault." I couldn't keep the anger out of my voice.

His eyes flashed. "What does he want?" I gestured for him to follow me, then made my way back to Ambrew in the corner of the parking lot.

"Why are you so mean to him?" I wasted no time asking. "He was really hurt last night, but he's willing to forgive if it was you."

Adam looked shocked. "Why would he do that?"

"Because he has reason to believe you're trying to intimidate him because you feel intimidated by something...or someone...and he doesn't believe you grew up hurting without intention."

"You keep saying you don't know it was me, so why are you questioning me about this?"

"Because, Ian may not know it was you, but I do. I could kick your ass right here and now, but I refuse because he told me to go easy on you. Now what's going on?"

He sat down in the dirt, looking somewhat defeated. "Alright, fine. Yes, I did it. I wanted to teach him a lesson for laughing at me the other day. But I couldn't stop swinging once I had started. It was like all of my anger rushed through my body and I couldn't control myself."

"Anger towards him laughing?"

"Not just that. I have a lot going on at home, mostly with my dad. I have trust and anger issues because of him. Nobody wants to hear it. It makes me seem weak. So, I pick on the weakest people I can find."

I kneeled down in front of him, my anger fading. "Do you know why Ian wants to give you a chance? Do you know why he told me not to hurt you?" He shook his head. "It's because Ian was being abused at home by his parents before he got kicked out. He's a different person now than he was then, but you scare him more than ever now. I thought it was just his weird disability making him so afraid, but I thought wrong. He knew there was something wrong in your life, and he asked me to figure out what because he can't, because he's scared of you, because I'm not. After yesterday, I'm not sure he'll be able to look at you without having a freaking panic attack."

Guilt clouded his eyes. "I had no clue," he mumbled. "I mean, I always knew I wasn't the only person with parental problems, but I always assumed it was people like me...the other bullies."

I shook my head. "Secrets can come from the most unexpected places if you know how to look."

~~~~~~~~

I yelped in pain as I tried to stand. I don't need help. I'm not a baby. Ma walked back into the room. "Lay down," she said, arms crossed, foot tapping. I sighed in resignation and laid back down, wincing as my back hit the bed.

"I freaking hate this!" I complained angrily. The sound of the front door closing announced Ben's arrival.

He stopped as he reached my doorway. "You okay, man?"

"He tried getting up when I left the room," Ma explained.

Ben shook his head. "Ian, you won't get better that way."

"But I want to be able to take care of myself?" I saw him smirk, then he walked into the room and dropped a stack of homework on my bedside table.

"There you go. You can take care of that yourself. I'm gonna go take a nap." I was surprised by the sarcasm and frustration that edged his words.

I looked at Ma, jaw gaping. She looked right back at me. "I'll go talk to him."

When she left the room, I looked through the papers to see if there were any easy ones for me to start with. Of course not. As I started organizing the papers before putting them back on the stand, a piece of white lined paper dropped on my face. I was rather annoyed, but I picked it up and unfolded it.

Ian,

I spoke with Ben today. I feel really bad about what happened. I don't deserve forgiveness, no matter how harsh the consequences would be if you don't forgive me. You were right. There are things going on at home that make me act the way I do and I believe we started off on the wrong foot. I hope we can chat soon. That would be really nice. I can't say sorry enough for what I've done. Please rest. I wish you a speedy recovery.

~Adam