Chapter 16

I woke up with back pain after falling asleep sitting up on the couch. Ian was laying on his back next to me, his legs hanging over the side of the couch, head in my lap. I smiled down at him. He looked so peaceful and innocent. But I did have to wake him up, as much as I wanted him to stay that way forever. "Ian," I lightly shook his shoulder, afraid I might hurt him if I shook his side. He was still in some pain, even though he had almost completely healed. As soon as I called his name, he bolted upright, shaking. I gently pulled him back towards me and he buried his face in my chest. "It's alright," I soothed. "It was just a dream."

He took a few minutes to gain his composure before we decided we should probably get ready to go. We went about our morning routines, then I made sure Ian had everything he needed. Every single homework paper had to be accounted for, as he hadn't been in school in almost a month.

As we left the house and started walking in the cold, late Autumn morning, Ian immediately grabbed my hand and slipped his fingers through mine, as though he thought I'd run off. "Hey, why don't we take the street path today?" I asked nervously.

"But we're already running late and the forest path is quicker," he argued.

"I know, but...Ambrew had been walking to school with me and I don't exactly want to see him there." Ian's eyes flashed as we headed for the woods anyway. It wasn't until we reached the school that he came into view, standing alone near the brick building. Ian marched right towards him, dragging me along.

"Hey, Ambrew. You have five seconds to start explaining." he said as we approached. I kept my eyes on the ground, not wanting to see the anger in Ian's or the fear in Ambrew's.

"I...I just...he was upset...and I...we had been hanging out for the past few weeks...I started getting attached...and I don't know what came over me...I'm honestly, truly sorry..."

I looked up as Ian let go of my hand and got closer to Ambrew until their noses were barely touching. "You almost messed up my relationship. If he hadn't pulled away, I wouldn't believe it was an impulse. Now, you stay away from him or there'll be hell to pay."

"You sound like Adam," Ambrew shot back. Ian stared at him in silence, then realization struck and he backed off, horror glinting in his eyes.

"Ambrew, why-"

"No, Ben. He's right...I'm sorry, Ambrew." Then he took me by my wrist and we walked silently to English. Well, I was pulled.

--------------------

Ian and I stood in the hallway near my history class, waiting for the bell to ring. I had been dragged around all morning and my wrist was starting to hurt. "You act like I'm going to run off," I had told him, a remark to which he had no reply.

"Please, just...don't let him touch you." A hint of desperation in his voice made me feel untrusted, but I agreed.

"It'll be fine," I told him, brushing his hair out of his face. "I promise."

"Who the hell acts on an impulse to kiss someone that's in a relationship?" he asked, talking to no one in particular. The bell rang, I kissed his cheek and told him to get to class, then I walked into my classroom and to my seat.

Ambrew showed up minutes later and sat in his seat in front of me. After he took out his notebook, he turned around. "I'm really sorry, man." he whispered. "I just...I don't know...I kind of like you and I don't know what happened or why I did it...I just...did."

"Ian doesn't believe you. He's been dragging me around in an iron grip all morning. I'm not even supposed to be near you right now." I rolled up my sleeve to run my wrist, sighing as the bright red color slowly faded.

"That looks like it hurts."

"It does," I admitted. "I've never seen him like this. He's so..." I trailed off, trying to think of a word. "...hostile."

"It's all my fault," he sighed. "I really didn't-"

"I know you didn't mean it," I cut him off. "Right now, it'd be best if you steer clear of him, especially when I'm with him.

--------------------

"Ian, let go! You're hurting me!" He loosened his grip and I tugged my arm away, rubbing my wrist. "What the freak is wrong with you?"

He started at the redness of my wrist. "Did I do that?"

"Yes, you did! All day, you've been acting as if I'm going to run away from you. You know I wouldn't do that. You know it! So why treat me like I've been trying to for the past five months?" He was silent, guilt present on his face, his gaze trailed to behind me and he looked ready to say something, but then he just turned and ran down the path towards the river. I turned around to see Ambrew. "I told you to stay away."

"My mom couldn't pick me up today and I got stuck walking. I figured you guys would be miles ahead of me by now." I shrugged as I saw Adam run past me. He must've seen Ian run off.

"I'm sorry about all of this," I told him. "Ian has every right to be mad at me."

"Why? You did nothing wrong? It was all me." I looked back to see that Ian and Adam were out of sight.

"I should probably get back to him."

~~~~~~~~

Stupid Ambrew. I kicked a stone into the river. Stupid anger. Stupid emotions. None of this would be happening now if I wasn't so sensitive. I physically hurt my best friend. I can tell he's scared of me. Why am I so dumb?! I can believe Ben did nothing wrong. He pulled away. Why the hell am I so angry?!

"Ian," A voice snapped me out of my thoughts, but not a voice I expected to hear. "What happened?"

I turned around to look at Adam. "I'm just having a bad day,"I said irritably.

"You don't have bad days," he told me. "I've known you long enough to know that. You look like you watched someone die and you're out for revenge."

I sighed and sat down on a rock. "I hurt my best friend," I mumbled. He sat next to me, his eyes concerned.

"Do you want to talk about it?"

"Not really." I moved over to give him more space.

"Are you talking about Ben or Ambrew?" I looked at him skeptically. "Oh, Ben. Duh," he facepalmed. "I forgot you only just recently met the other one."

"I almost wish I hadn't." I muttered, almost inaudibly.

"Hey, I don't know what happened, but don't forget our conversation from yesterday. You told me everyone deserves a second chance. Even if it takes some time, think it over." He was right. I had said that just before he left. I knew he had a point. "I may not know what's going on, but I know you'll find it in you. You're a good person."

"Thanks, Adam. You're pretty great yourself. Thank you for reminding me."

"Hey, Ian?" A new voice came from behind. "Can I talk to you?" Adam smirked at me, his eyes reminding me to keep calm, before he stood up for Ben to take his place.

I waited to hear his footsteps fading before saying, "I'm so sorry, Ben."

"It's alright."

"No, it's not. I hurt you and I betrayed our friend. Even if it seems like I'm right to be angry, I'm not."

He was silent for a moment, his head leaning on my shoulder. "I'm not angry, Ian. Adam was right. You'll get over it and we'll all be friends again in no time. It always happens."

"But I hurt you. And I scared you."

"Well, I was scared at first. I've never seen that side of you before...and you only hurt my wrist. I'll be fine."

I felt my eyes full with tears, but I blinked them away. I didn't want to cry. "I love you so much."

"I love you too, Ian. I promise, things will get better." I buried my face into his soft hair. We sat there for a while in silence, the river and birds singing being the only sources of sound. I need to go apologize to Ambrew. I feel awful.